PDA

View Full Version : Phosban or GFO???

bimmer88
07/30/2010, 01:38 AM
from what I'm thinking, phosban is just GFO right??? phosban is pretty expensive for a little bottle... i noticed bulk reef supply sells one pound of GFO for just 19.99. is there a difference if I just use the GFO that bulkreefsupply sells or phosban???

cloak
07/30/2010, 01:58 AM
burp!

Puke & beer are the same thing sometimes.

MJT82
07/30/2010, 04:48 AM
I use the BRS GFO... I'm sure you'll find that most folks here do the same thing.

Cozmo4
07/30/2010, 04:53 AM
They are both essentially the same thing. Phosban is just the Two Little Fishies brand of Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO).

Mavrk
07/31/2010, 01:51 AM
Here's an oldie for you... Not about generic GFO, but a good comparison of the brand names:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11279038&postcount=10

Zebodog
07/31/2010, 05:46 AM
burp!

Puke & beer are the same thing sometimes.

On a hot summer day, I'd rather have an ice cold pint of beer. I just can't see the ice cold pint of puke being nearly as refreshing but to each their own!

jasonrp104
07/31/2010, 05:50 AM
I used to use phosban and decided to try the BRS brand the last time I bought Kalk. The only thing That phosban has on BRS, imo, is the free filter bag.

bimmer88
07/31/2010, 11:14 AM
thanks for the replies. Which BRS GFO do you guys use? Have you guys tried the high capacity one yet?

Bushman
07/31/2010, 11:26 AM
I just use the regular granules they sell. I haven't had reason to goto the HC product quite yet.

Stanley-Reefer
07/31/2010, 03:49 PM
Doesn't the TLF phosban say it's "synthetic ferric oxide" on the canister? I've been using Dr F/S--it's usually on good sale and is a small enough container that storage and use is great.

Mavrk
07/31/2010, 07:31 PM
I think it also depends on if you are trying to maintain a low phosphate level, or bring it down quickly. I have never used the BRS GFO, so I cannot say anything about that. I have used the Dr. F&S, PhosR, and RowaPhos. My observations with no scientific measurements are:

Dr. F&S worked, but did not seem to make a big difference in existing algae.

PhosR seemed to work on a more gradual basis, but I noticed more of a difference than with Dr. F&S.

I have only been using RowaPhos for a couple of days, but it has made my skimmer start picking up more green stuff than before. I can only assume that this is algae dying off.

My phosphates have read 0 for the last couple of years from running these things, but I know there is a bunch in the rocks and substrate. I am hoping RowaPhos will turbo charge the removal of these hidden phosphates. I would like to add that I HATE Valonia with a passion!:bounce3:

t4zalews
07/31/2010, 07:44 PM
Ive been using the high capacity by BRS..I'm not really sure if its any better than regular GFO. But then again, I cant really accurately tell..my hanna photometer will read .03 for RO/DI water. and my tank is currently at .03....so I dont know if I'm at zero or not. Im going to try just the regular GFO from BRS and see if I see a difference or not.

SkyPapa
07/31/2010, 08:23 PM
I HATE Valonia with a passion!:bounce3:

Me too, the kids like the green marbles though.:hammer:

Sorry for hijack.

Stanley-Reefer
07/31/2010, 08:50 PM
interesting mavrk...having used all of them. Thanks for the info...