PDA

View Full Version : Tang Question

Allmost
07/30/2010, 08:58 AM
Hello all

180 Gallons, already stocked with a yellow tang and a blue tang.

owner wants to add another tang, so now , which would be safer ?
Blonde Naso Tang ? (I told him this guy, but want your opinion)
Powder Blue tang

or the RC tang :P sorry, but cant remember the name of the tang on RC logo

lhm nole
07/30/2010, 09:15 AM
If the Naso and PB is bigger than the yellow should be no problem assuming you have a regal tang when they are smaller they are easier to add tangs with imo. And the reef central logo is a sohal tang it would work but they can also be the devil.

Just keep in mind when mixing tangs every case is different some are more tolerant than others.

Allmost
07/30/2010, 09:57 AM
yea I get what you mean, thanks.

the blue regal tang he has is really small, and the yellow tang smaller than the new tang he wants to get.

so you think my yellow tang would pick on the new guy ?

who will be safer to add ? sohal ? BP or Naso ?

of course in yur opinion, as u said every case is different :)
I added regal tang to my 65G with my yellow tang (regal was REALLY small size of a penny) and now they are best friends lol no Issues

IFbettas
07/30/2010, 10:25 AM
IMO, both sohals and nasos grow too big for a 180. I kept a yellow, sailfin, and powder blue together in my 180 with no conflict. The powder blue was added last and was the smallest of the three.

nikon187
07/30/2010, 11:41 AM
sohal is a no go for that size tank, plus can be very aggressive

revaltion131
07/30/2010, 12:03 PM
As has been said, the Naso and Sohal will both outgrow the tank. The PBT is a good choice. They can be tough little buggers so I doubt the fish would let itself get beat on too much.

jaa1456
07/30/2010, 12:28 PM
yea I get what you mean, thanks.

the blue regal tang he has is really small, and the yellow tang smaller than the new tang he wants to get.

so you think my yellow tang would pick on the new guy ?

who will be safer to add ? sohal ? BP or Naso ?

of course in yur opinion, as u said every case is different :)
I added regal tang to my 65G with my yellow tang (regal was REALLY small size of a penny) and now they are best friends lol no IssuesIs it your tank or your friends? Reading your writing you say his blue tang, then the yellow is smaller than what he wants to get, followed up by Do you think MY yellow tang would pick on the new guy? I say neither tang listed, go with something smaller and less aggresive.

anbosu
07/30/2010, 12:35 PM
I would go with a smaller Acanthurus sp. tang.

Maybe a mimic, convict, or even a bigger one that isn't super aggressive like an OST.

TampaReefer79
07/30/2010, 11:04 PM
All 3 are bad choices. The naso and sohal for size issues, and the pb just because it doesn't sound like the person that will be caring for it knows enough about them to properly do so.

I don't mean any disrespect by the above by the way. But someone that gets their advice from someone that doesn't know what type of tang is in the RC logo, has some reading to do before they start caring for expert level fish. Just my opinion and you can do with it what you wish.

BrianD
07/31/2010, 11:06 AM
I will echo that a powder blue tang should only be attempted by an experienced reefer. I will also agree that a 180 is a poor choice for a Sohal or Naso sp.

snorvich
07/31/2010, 05:22 PM
I will echo that a powder blue tang should only be attempted by an experienced reefer. I will also agree that a 180 is a poor choice for a Sohal or Naso sp.

I agree. Sohal tangs become progressively aggressive and will often "take out" other fish just because they can. Naso tangs are swimmers; an eight foot tank or longer is preferred.