PDA

View Full Version : Coral farming book

jmccoya
07/30/2010, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about the book "practical coral farming" by Miguel Tolosa??? I have seen it for sale on another site but wanted some imput on the book before I drop the $20.00 for it.
Thanks

firefishbrain
07/30/2010, 12:35 PM
For $20 bucks, its alright. I liked it, it was insightful, easy to read, got a nice perspective and some ideas for my future coral farming ventures. Plus he's a very nice guy, he was very responsive when I shot him an email and very good customer service on shipping the book.

On the flip side, there were alot of grammatical errors which I think should have been corrected and it lacked statistics and hard evidence on where his opinions come from. I would have liked more of how he arrived to his conclusions and some evidence for some of the arguments that he makes. you basically have to just assume that he's credible. Perhaps this will fuel him to produce a second edition. Essentially, it's different from Calfo's book in that regard, but unlike Calfo's, its a bit more how-to. Calfo keeps it very open ended for whatever reason (perhaps to spark one's own creativity and ingenuity).

But I digress, for $20, its a nice little read imo. Took me just a couple evenings to get through, and it was all down to earth and easy to digest.

jmccoya
07/30/2010, 03:02 PM
What is the name of Anthony Calfo's book your refering too?? Do you have any other suggetions, to read up on???

rgfast
07/30/2010, 04:37 PM
( Book Of Coral Propagation ) by Anthony Calfo
another good read
(Aquarium Corals) by Eric H. Borneman

BayouCorals
07/31/2010, 03:48 AM
I have both Miguel and Anthony's books and have read through them several times. I would recommend both. I believe that Miguel's book was an easy read and very practical. I found it interesting to learn his perspective on T5 versus Metal Halide and even the specific bulbs he used on his farm. I have saved over $20 in tips learned from his book. One example was learning about bulk GFO. No more Rowaphos for me. Every one has their own opinion, but with the money invested in the hoppy $20 is cheap.

firefishbrain
08/04/2010, 09:03 PM
Those Are the ones rg, thanks. Forgot I posted here and didn't check up sorry >.<

Also, Bayou- I think you said it better than I. I currently am unable to start any serious farming projects, I definately think the insite will pay for itself very quickly.