PDA

View Full Version : Coral War

GhostCon1
07/30/2010, 03:52 PM
I have a question:

I see tons of tanks that have all of their sps that look so amazing and beautiful, but they grow so close to each other or the bases touch.

How are they staying alive?

I have been told that one will eventually 'take over' the other colony.

I have plenty of room in my new set up for lots of sps, and would love to be able to put some close to each other and have them fill out all over the place, but I don't know how you guys do it.

Maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid? Thanks all :reading:

GhostCon1
07/31/2010, 10:44 PM
bump

pwoller
07/31/2010, 10:49 PM
I've never had sps get along once they touch. Some of my encrsting montis seem to get along when they touch but they just stop growing in that direction.

GhostCon1
07/31/2010, 11:13 PM
That's good to hear, I didn't want to invest a lot (more than I have already:P) and lose them to turf wars among many other possibilites, thanks for the peace of mind.

reefWW96
08/01/2010, 03:16 PM
i have lost many corals to "wars" some really aggressive sps include millepora and hydnophora which have killed more things in my tank than my galaxea and favia have...

offroadodge
08/01/2010, 05:22 PM
ya if it were me I wouldnt have one sliver of hydrophora in an SPS tank, that stuff is wickedly MEAN... I have alot of my SPS that the bases are encrusted to eachother. They seem to just get along.

GhostCon1
08/01/2010, 06:14 PM
Never heard of that coral, brb looking it up :p.

Just saw it, I don't like. So, no need to worry about that!

buy_baff
08/01/2010, 07:13 PM
For me it seems there is no way to tell what will happen tell they meet. Right now I have a large Idaho grape cap that has meet my sunset monti on one side ant the sunset is over growing it. On another side it has meet up with my ora tricolor and the tricolor killed the cap back about 1/2 in from the edge. But on the front side it is meeting up with my ORA green birdsnest and the cap killed a branch when it touched. So I cut it way back from the birdsnest. I have had good luck with filling in empty space between acros with encrusting montis so far anywhere the montis meet up with the acros the acros they seem to get along or the acro wins. So to me this is a nice way to fill in space.