PDA

View Full Version : skimmer going nuts !!

yeloowtang
07/31/2010, 06:18 AM
does this happen to any one else?

when ever power goes out for a few minutes,not long after my skimmer
goes balistic and skims like there's no tomorow !!!!!!

i keep it clean and i've read that because water fills it up and when power
comes back on,this clears up something and it foams like crazy.

i have a tunze 9410 with the big cup as recomended by the reps,it seems that the extra power they gave it makes it so that with the smal cup it comes with you ahve to reduce air intake considarably.

i've checked everything and all parameters are in check,wwell the first time this happen i freaked and taught everything had died !!!!! but no every one is fine and happy...

wondering if this happens to others or i'm missing something

steff

jasonrp104
07/31/2010, 06:27 AM
Does it skim like mad or overflow? Mine overflows when power goes out because my sump has no chambers so when my tank back siphons, the skimmer overflows as soon as it starts again. (due to the much higher water level)

Typlus5
07/31/2010, 06:29 AM
does this happen to any one else?

when ever power goes out for a few minutes,not long after my skimmer
goes balistic and skims like there's no tomorow !!!!!!

i keep it clean and i've read that because water fills it up and when power
comes back on,this clears up something and it foams like crazy.

It's going nuts just because of the higher water level...when the power goes out the water rises in your sump from the display, hence raising the level in your skimmer. This higher water level is the cause and not anything put off in the water due to the power interuption.

I use a controller that comes with a function that "delays" the skimmer automatically when power goes out so you don't flood your set up.

yeloowtang
07/31/2010, 10:41 AM
it skims like mad (wet skim) and then overflows ,3 weeks ago i had the same thing happen and i did a 5 gal water change with the water it was skimming (clear water).
all this while reopening the air to it as it went but never fully open like it was before the first power outage.

as for my sump !!! level stays the same,the chamber i have it inn doesn't get affected when i turn off the pumps,only the section after my bubble trap walls where my fuge sit goes up.

right now i have the air intake cut down alot to prevent it from foaming over constantly.