PDA

View Full Version : Quarentine Me!

dynomite
07/31/2010, 11:53 AM
Hello Fish Lovers

I was wondering what type of filters you guys run on your quarantine tanks? I have had no luck setting up the "simple" quarantine systems that so many people suggest. I wouldn't even dare put in a goldfish in such a bare system, let alone a rare angelfish.

I have the best luck setting up my QT's as mini "display systems" using advanced biological filtration. Usually a fluidized bed filter and/or full blown wet/dry trickle filter with a small HOB filter for mechanical filtration.

Sanitizing and re-cycling are also very important, how do you guys go about that? Are you guys sanitizing between every fish that goes into QT, I usually do not. Also how are you cycling the tank quick enough, I buy fish too often to always deal with the cycling process. I still haven't found any "live & ready" bacteria products that work.

Thereafter I use prazipro, cupramine, and nitrofurazone to treat for 4 weeks. I have never had luck with full blown hypo however I do keep my salinity at 1.020.

As for my display tanks I have had the best luck with my fish dedicated systems when I use no LR and bare bottom tanks. I think that having ich in a tank which is heavily dependent on LR for biological filtration would be a very scary situation. After I lost an entire tank of fish in a FOLR system to velvet 5 years ago (no quarantine) I have been setting up all of my fish dedicated systems this way with very good luck. How about you guys?

revaltion131
07/31/2010, 06:51 PM
This is the equipment I use on my QT system(s). It does vary based on treatments and so on.

1.) Sponge-type medium

This can be a 'sponge filter' which is basically an airstone with a giant sponge attached or a sponge in a HOB filter. The sponge acts as a medium for bacteria. When the QT is not set up, this should go in some part of your display system to be maintained. This should be removed when treating with any kind of medications that are questionably reef-safe at best.

2.) A HOB filter and carbon inserts on-hand

This is not used full time unless the sponge for the bacteria is a part of this filter. Only use the carbon when you are attempting to soak up the medication. Don't use carbon in concert with meds unless instructed to by the medication directions.

3.) Heater
4.) A couple of PVC pipes (elbow joints rock) for the fish to hide in
5.) Airstone & pump

You generally don't need a powerhead or lighting but if you want to get them, that's your choice.

The tank cycles so 'quickly' because it is either kept up and running the whole time, as there are some serious systems out there that do this, or they are filled with water from the display when the tank is needed. Basically, you do a water change on the display system for however much water you need to take out to fill the QT. If you want to dry the QT out in between uses, as I do, the sponge should go back into the display system to maintain the bacteria on it. Do NOT do this if the sponge was ever in the QT when you treated with non-reef safe medications.

Hope that helps!

RBU1
07/31/2010, 07:29 PM
I have a 30 gallon long as my QT with a w/d filter full of bioballs and an emperor hang on filter. I do weekly 90% water changes.