PDA

View Full Version : The takeover of alien spheres? Help

thefat1
07/31/2010, 01:53 PM
I have these green algae spheres that apparently have hitchiked into my display tank see attachment. How do you get rid of these. I did some research but there are many conflicting thoughts. Has anyone successfully rid the rock of these. I had no problem with these until the clusters started multiplying.

What are they, what am I doing wrong to allow these to multiply, and I heard that if you try to scrape them, it is a spore and creates many more???

HELLLLLLP!:bounce2:

Bushman
07/31/2010, 01:55 PM
Uh oh! That's bubble algae. Don't pop them. Research here on RC and you'll find there are some creatures that do OK ridding them for you.

olemiss reb
07/31/2010, 02:36 PM
emerald crabs will eat them but I have found them to be hit or miss. If you can remove the rock, take it out and twist the bubbles off, rinse the rock with saltwater and put it back in. They'll take over the tank if you do nothing.

1sirjustis
07/31/2010, 06:06 PM
do NOT pop them!!! wait tell they get bigger and then use the head of an ink pin and remove them from there base! be patient!

Mavrk
07/31/2010, 06:15 PM
Valonia as others have said. Get rid of it now or the pod people will take over your tank. I have been fighting that stuff for a long time. Like someone said above, take the rock out, scrape it off at the base, rinse in saltwater and then you can put it back in your tank (or better yet, let it cook in a bucket with no light for a bit first). Once you start getting more of them, it is a constant battle.

rxonco
07/31/2010, 07:24 PM
I've got a few here and there in my 90gal tank. I have five emerald crabs which may keep them at bay. I don't really worry about them as I actually think they're pretty cool. As long as they don't completely take over (which is the real gamble here), they can add some natural look to the rockwork.