PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation on a new AFFORDABLE skimmer for my 34 gal RedSeaMax.

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 07:12 PM
Hello everyone. I just got a used 34 gallon RedSeaMax, and it came with the stock skimmer. I really don't think it is working well, so I need recommedations on a new AFFORDABLE skimmer that works well. Need recommedations. Thanks.

Ali :D
07/31/2010, 07:28 PM
I have found the red sea max skimmers to be very good. I maintain 3 of them and never had any problems and they collect very well.

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 07:47 PM
I have found the red sea max skimmers to be very good. I maintain 3 of them and never had any problems and they collect very well.

Thanks for replying. I'm new to the hobby, and a buddy of mine came over the other day and said that he doesn't think the skimmer is working. That was about a week ago and we cleaned out the skimmer. Not much dirt in it. Now that a week has gone by, I cleaned it again, but there was barely any dirt in it. How do I know if it is working? Should there be a noticeable amount of dirt in the top cartridge after only 1 week? Remember, that I don't have anything in the tank besides sand, live rock, and a couple coral frags. Thanks for the help.

07/31/2010, 07:59 PM
With a low 'bio load' you wont find a lot of skim. When you clean it make sure the air lines are clear and you take the pump apart and clean inside it. like any skimmer it will need a little adjustment. Play with the valve so that you get most of the bubbles coming up about half way up the spout in the collection cup. I think you can screw the spout up and down a bit too if its the same model I'm used to. Also i found that if you over fill the tank the skimmer runs bad so make sure the water level in the tank is in range and when you get more livestock it should collect a good bit more

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the help. Just a quick question, because you said you have the RedSeaMax. Where do you put the carbon bags? If your looking from the front of the tank, the previous owner had them located on the left side of the skimmer, just floating around in the back compartment. They seem to float right over the heater. Someone else I spoke with that has this tank said that he has his carbon bag on the right side of the skimmer, behind the gate, where water goes to the back of the tank. Thanks.

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 08:19 PM
With a low 'bio load' you wont find a lot of skim. When you clean it make sure the air lines are clear and you take the pump apart and clean inside it. like any skimmer it will need a little adjustment. Play with the valve so that you get most of the bubbles coming up about half way up the spout in the collection cup. I think you can screw the spout up and down a bit too if its the same model I'm used to. Also i found that if you over fill the tank the skimmer runs bad so make sure the water level in the tank is in range and when you get more livestock it should collect a good bit more

Thanks. I honestly don't see any bubbles in the skimmer. Does that mean it's not working properly?

07/31/2010, 08:33 PM
If you see no bubbles then something is not right, make sure you cleaned out the pump properly and also make sure the pump is turning. sometimes they just rattle and dont turn. also check the air valves if they are blocked the pump wont suck air. There needs to be bubbles for it to work.

I would just throw carbon bags over the top of the pump on the left side if your looking at the tank. As long as the bag gets good flow its not that vital.

mullinsd2
08/01/2010, 04:42 AM
tunze 9002