PDA

View Full Version : LFS said I had to have the 2 part solution calcium buffer system. Any thoughts?

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 07:20 PM
Hello experts. I'm new to the hobby and i have a 34 gallon RedSeaMax take I got from a previous owner, who have me his water, live rock, sand, and a couple little coral frags. I've had the tank for 2 weeks and I haven't added anything yet. I went to the LFS today and just started to pick their brain a little. He said that the one thing I needed was the Kent Marine 2 part solution calcium buffer system. Any thoughts on that, and if this was a MUST HAVE item? The guy said to add about a capsule of each solution per day, which coincides with the directions. My question is, do I need to add this everyday, even if my calcium level is okay? Does adding it everyday, make the calcium level okay? Thoughts on how everybody uses the calcium buffer system in their tank?

Tuscaquatics
07/31/2010, 07:26 PM
No, you absolutely don't want to just add it every day. You need to test your water and add it when needed. With no corals and a new tank, that will be rarely.

You really don't need to be dosing a 2 part at all at this point. If you use a reef salt mix you will be fine until you start adding corals. Once you get corals, or start growing significant coralline to actually use up calcium and alkalinity, then you can start dosing.

Once again, I'm shocked at the things an LFS will tell you in order to sell you something. If you added a capful everyday to that tank, your calcium and alkalinity would be off the charts in about 3 days.

Toddrtrex
07/31/2010, 07:36 PM
Given the size of your tank, and what you have in it, weekly water changes with a quality salt just might provide your Cal, Al, and Mag needs (( Mag isn't covered by 2 part )). Some day down the road you might need to add it every day, but you would need to be testing to show how much you need.

For my established 58 and 75 I have to add 90 ML 5 days a week to keep my levels in check.

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 07:50 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. When I test the calcium and alkinity, when should I know to add the 2 part solution?

Gary Majchrzak
07/31/2010, 07:54 PM
maintaining proper levels of calcium and alkalinity in a reef aquarium is extremely important. Every calcifying organism that you add or remove to your aquarium will change the rate of depletion. Read this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

AJimmy419
07/31/2010, 07:57 PM
maintaining proper levels of calcium and alkalinity in a reef aquarium is extremely important. Every calcifying organism that you add or remove to your aquarium will change the rate of depletion. Read this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Thanks for the help and article.

stanlalee
08/01/2010, 11:36 AM
No one can tell you if you need it every day or never. How much and often is based on the needs of your tank (which depends on how much calcium and carbonates the corals, coraline critters are using to grow and the concentration of the salt you use plays a role as well at this point though that wont matter hardly at all down the road on a heavily stocked tank). Typically the more corals you have and the more hard corals you have (including LPS) the higher the load will be. You can only determine this thru regular calcium and alkalinity (dKH) testing (I'd say no less than weekly). If calcium is falling significantly daily you'll need to add it daily. If alkalinity (which is more important to monitor IMO) is falling significantly daily you need to add it daily. Add however it takes to keep relatively stable and within range. Since you are going to use a 2 part AFTER you've got both calcium and alkalinity at your target you can just test/add for alkalinity and add equal part of the calcium part. It wont be exact but you wont hurt anything that way (assumming calcium testing at least once in a while).

I add 20ml of alkalinity buffer and 5ml of calcium chloride daily (not matched 2 part but the same content) on a 30 gallon by requirement and the buffers I use are much more concentrated than kent two part (> 2x) so nobody should blindly say you do or dont without knowing your tank utilization. You may just need water changes and no buffers or you may need 50ml a day of 2 part. Chances are right now you could get away with water changes BUT eventually if you keep at it and are successful you WILL need to add daily or use kalk or other method of adding calcium and carbonates. In other words even if you dont need it now the product wont go to waste.