PDA

View Full Version : Biocube 14: bio balls and heater

eamike261
08/01/2010, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to find a good place to fit the heater in the back of my Oceanic Biocube 14 but with the skimmer in the first compartment there isn't space.

Could the heater go into the second compartment with all of the bioballs? They would be right up against it so I'm wondering if that would be a problem. I'm not sure how hot the heater itself gets but I'm thinking it wouldn't be an issue to put it right in there with the balls.

bassplaya12
08/01/2010, 09:25 AM
what about the third one mike?

eamike261
08/01/2010, 05:58 PM
Water level isn't high enough there. Does anyone know? Or at least have a good guess?

fstar25
08/01/2010, 06:21 PM
Have you decided to Buck conventional wisdom and keep your bioballs? I believe the majority of us biocube owners tossed them out immediately. If you already have been running them for awhile and have livestock you'll have to remove them slowly.

If you take them out chamber 2 will work.

HTH

~Frank

Raggamuffin
08/01/2010, 08:02 PM
+1 on chucking the bioballs!

Beanfish
08/01/2010, 08:27 PM
I have a 14 biocube. It's been up and running fine for over 3 years. The only thing I've ever done is remove the balls and add rock rubble. I would personally ditch the skimmer and place the heater in the first chamber. As long as you do water changes every other week, you won't need the skimmer.

onecoder
08/01/2010, 08:40 PM
I have the skimmer and run Cheato in the middle with the heater in the 3rd chamber. I just run with the water level a bit higher.

bassplaya12
08/01/2010, 09:11 PM
^^any issues running the water level high? What are the cons to keeping the bioballs?

fstar25
08/01/2010, 09:36 PM
Bioballs have been shown to mostly just be detritus traps. Live rock is much better for bacteria growth and natural filtration. You can run the water level higher, I have been told the water level marks on the biocube are more for freshwater anyways. I can't confirm that, it is just what I've heard.

Oh, and +1 on you don't need a Skimmer in a tank this small. Once a week 10% water change to replenish elements for coral growth should be plenty of nutrient export for a tank that size. That being said, a Skimmer sure wont hurt either. :)

~Frank

eamike261
08/02/2010, 12:01 AM
We'll be doing 10-20% weekly WC's on top of the skimmer, I don't want to get into why we are deciding to use it because it'll be a messy conversation.

I didn't know bioballs were considered bad, in that case we could just put some LR in there and put the heater above that right? Is it pretty much a 100% agreement that bioballs are no good?

Beanfish
08/02/2010, 07:18 AM
My tank sure seemed to be more stable once I removed the balls and added the rock rubble. If you keep the water level high enough to keep the heater submerged, you shouldn't have a problem. If not, you'll melt the plastic towards the top of the chamber and/or burn the heater up.