PDA

View Full Version : Could Someone help a noobie?

critofer
08/01/2010, 08:59 PM
Hey guys,
I am new to fishtanks and aquariums. My pet Chameleon just recently passed away, I have now decided i would like to start my own Saltwater Aquarium. I am going to start off with a 30 gallon tank. I was thinking about a Biocube 29G but thats is way to expensive for me, i checked craigslist and couldn't find one for under $300. Anyway, since i don't know anything about what kind of filters are good ones, Could you guys give me some help? What filter should i buy for a 30 gallon saltwater tank, i don't have much money to spend. So what i am saying is what is the cheapest filter that will get the job done well. Also,i heard about protein skimmers. Same thing, what is the best protein skimmer for the cheapest that will get the job done well. What kind of heater should i get? I am playing to put alot of live rock in the tank also. And any tips you can give me? Anything else i am missing for a good setup. i am planning on getting 1 or 2 clown fish and maybe another fish or two at the most.

Thanks guys!!! :D

Chris

Reefman29
08/01/2010, 09:05 PM
Have you kept any fish tanks? I have a 30 gallon as well. I have a Whisper filter. I have a seaclone on mine, but it is overkill. Marineland heater, I also use a petco brand heater. Do you want to keep a reef, like coral? That will determine your lights. Substrate could be either sand or crushed coral.

scbrooks87
08/01/2010, 09:06 PM
Do things slowly... Pick things up piece by piece... My aquarium is costing WAY more than i budgeted for, but i am affording it only because im buying things slowly over a long period of time...

A reef tank is a big glass box that swallows your wallet... So there's no real cheap way to get into the hobby successfully.

Hope some people can give advice on less expensive, quality equipment...

Best of luck!
-Scott

beastrx
08/01/2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, your first mistake was cheap lol. That doesnt happen. But patience and doing things slow is better for the tank and your wallet.

jflick345
08/01/2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

Start by reading the above Newbie articles before you do/decide anything. There's lots of good basic info and some a little more advanced. Just make sure you do lots of research and ask lots of questions. There aren't any dumb questions, everything just takes a little time to learn and get the hang of. Getting cheap equipment is a good way to regret your setup down the road. It sucks but it's true. The cheapest way though is to do a fish only with live rock and no corals. You'll need less rock and the water usually doesn't need to be as clean. You might even be able to do some mushrooms and softies with standard VHO lighting.

critofer
08/01/2010, 09:27 PM
Okay, well I am planning on just having fish, maybe a shrimp and live rock. wasn't thinking about coral currently. Would that be a reef tank? Okay then, What is a good Filter for a 30gallon tank. Whats a good Protein skimmer? I hear all this talk about powerheads, what are thoses ( well i know that they flow out water) but do they attach to the filter?

dwculp
08/01/2010, 09:31 PM
You have the exact same post in two different forums.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you really do want to just keep a couple of clownfish and something else, you can do it really cheaply.

1. You need a 29 gallon aquarium - cheap at most pet stores. Many will even come with a light. Since you wont be keeping coral then a standard light strip will do.
2. A heater
3. A hang on back filter, I HIGHLY like the bio wheel filters from Marineland.
4. Sand - dry sand (NOT CRUSHED CORAL) is cheap from pet stores.
5. Get some dry rocks from the pet store and seed with some live rock. You dont HAVE to have rocks in a fish only tank but it really helps your biological filtration.
6. You will of course need salt and a way to measure salinity. I really, really, really recommend getting a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.
7. One or two powerheads for water movement.

This will allow you to keep a few small fish and even some inverts such as crabs and snails.

Protein skimmer - You don't HAVE to have one, especially for a FO tank. It does help, it can be something you add later but you dont have to have one.

This is one of my favorite HOB filters for small tanks: http://www.aquariumguys.com/emperorpower1.html

I ran a 29 gallon tank with just that filter for 3-4 years.

Reefman29
08/01/2010, 09:33 PM
Okay, What you have then is called a (FOWLR) fish only with live rock. A standard flourescent will work for your tank then because you won't have any coral. Good filter- whisper or marineland. You don't need a protein skimmer for your type of tank. Power heads do not attach to the filter they are usually suction cup or have a magnet to attach to the tank wall. They will help to move the water more.

critofer
08/01/2010, 09:37 PM
Okay Cool, but how does a powerhead work? Is it on a pump?

dwculp
08/01/2010, 09:39 PM
A powerhead is a type of pump, designed to push water around the tank. In my 29 gallon I use two Maxi-Jet 1200's

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxi_Jet_Powerhead_Fixed_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Instant_Ocean-AS1111-FIPHFF-vi.html

critofer
08/01/2010, 10:26 PM
well, looks like im selling my nitro rc and a guitar for the cash, anyways thanks guys. i though i needed alot more than that for the tank i want!

critofer
08/01/2010, 10:34 PM
Okay, i have been searching the web, the cheapest 29 gallon aquarium i can find is a Top Fin for 89.99 at petsmart. any ideas were i can find one cheaper?