PDA

View Full Version : Dip that would kill parasites on soft corals before they are added to tank?

luconi
08/02/2010, 09:32 AM
Hi, I want to be sure all parasites are killed on any soft corals I might add to my tank before I add them and it's too late. What kind of dip would be best for soft corals (mainly zoas/palys and mushroom corals)? Would freshwater dips work or a medication in a separate container of saltwater? Would freshwater work for zoas/palys only, but be bad for mushroom corals? Thanks in advance for answers! (oh, and I read that ReVive Coral Cleaner would be a good thing for killing pests off of softies. Is this true? Please don't tell me how most things that come in on live rock and corals are beneficial or harmless. I know that usually things are fine with a little bit of inspection, but I don't want to take any chance with adding parasites and pests to my tank.) Thanks! :lol2:

James404
08/02/2010, 09:37 AM
I use revive myself but have heard good things of Lugols Iodine and CoralRx as well. I think the lugols will kill most parasites.

luconi
08/02/2010, 09:52 AM
The lugol's iodine solution can kill parasites?? Thanks, I'll check that out because I have some :D. Does revive seem to work well for you?

James404
08/02/2010, 09:59 AM
Yes so far revive has been very good for me, it is gentle on the corals but still kills pests.

luconi
08/02/2010, 10:05 AM
Hmm.. Sounds good. I should probably try to get some of that before I add any more corals. And does it work for both lps and soft corals? Thanks again!

James404
08/02/2010, 10:32 AM
Hmm.. Sounds good. I should probably try to get some of that before I add any more corals. And does it work for both lps and soft corals? Thanks again!

Yes it does, I have successfully dipped zoas, torch, acro, brains with it.

chimmike
08/02/2010, 11:14 AM
I love revive. I use it on almost everything. When I acclimate a fish I add some revive there as well.

luconi
08/02/2010, 12:48 PM
Ok thanks for the answers! Looks like I'll be getting that before I get my next coral. Sounds like some stuff that will do the job I want done safely!

Roscovitch
11/27/2017, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9ZYLrX01Q