PDA

View Full Version : is it a good upgrade

Steve&Mari
08/02/2010, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone we have a aquac urchin skimmer with maxijet 1200 pump. We get a really wet skim its not as dark n thicker as before I cleaned it this time. Didn't change how I cleaned it but now works way diffrent. I have a chance to get a reef otopus used was on a 120 gal set up n worked great I'm told. Not sure of modle but would this be a better skimmer. Thank you big steve

sedor
08/02/2010, 09:59 AM
What model skimmer is it? And what size is your tank? As long as its big enough to handle your tank then an Octopus would probably be a decent upgrade. They kind of run middle of the road, but the price and quality makes them very popular. Of course there is much better out there, but IMO an octopus can a great job as well.

Steve&Mari
08/02/2010, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to get the model number from person selling it but still don't have it. We have a 65gal mixed reef with 20 gallon sump. We have return flow of bout 800gph with tons of flow in tank with 2450gph from koralia pumps plus the return flow have a approx a third of sump as fuge. Hope this info helps price is 75 dollars for reef otopus skimmer and the aquac urchin was with set up I got from friends at lfs. To get us going an help us out seeing I have terminal cancer an nolonger can work. I find enjoyment n releif from some of my illness resting n watching it n caring for it as side affects alow at times. So money is tight n need to buy stuff as we can if its better for systeam. Thank you again big steve

reefermad619
08/02/2010, 10:57 AM
If money is tight and the skimmer you currently have is doing a descent job, an upgrade isnt that important. The thing I HATE about this hobby is that there is always an upgrade. Aqua c is less than an octopus, well a bubble king is better than an octopus. TEK fixtures... good, ATI... better. Unless the skimmer you have needs a new pump, I would stick with it. Unless you can sell it for $60, so you only have $15 towards the octupus.

Steve&Mari
08/02/2010, 01:41 PM
Reason I'm thinkin to change is in the 6months I've had the aqua c urchin it always pulled a dark mostly foam lil wet in cup over a week n tore down monthly to clean complete. This time I did it and it fills cup in a day with water that's got a slightly green tint to it. So a major change in how its working. Any ideas how to fix this would be nice aswell. Money is tight but not to point I won't replace it with the reef otopus a guy close to me is selling if I have to. Hobby brings too much enjoyment to entire family to let this stop us or let our livestock suffer. Thank you big steve