PDA

View Full Version : Used RSM 130 34G or Nanotuner's Biocube 29G 150w, fans retro upgrade? Or new RSM130D?

Magick88
08/02/2010, 11:53 AM
Hello,

I am a newbie, never kept a tank, but wanted a saltwater tank for a while.

Briefly, what I am looking at right now: an all in one system, user friendly, nice looking, *not requiring any mods* to run decently. I would like to start as Fowlr, then add some corals and eventually I would love an anemone and a clam. I also suspect that I would like to upgrade to a bigger tank within ~2 years (I know big tanks are easier but at the moment I am scared of the priced and definitely want AIO system).

What I can get now are:

1) Used RSM 130 (stock), black + stand, for about ~$400 - pros: love the look and the concept, Cons: heard bad stories about skimmer, overheating etc

2) Used Oceanic BioCube 29 Gallon tank and stand, Nano Tuners 150w metal halide & fans retro upgrade + Sapphire Aquatics BC29 inline skimmer, for ~ $435, pros: I understand that the lights and nanotuners upgrades and retrofitting are really nice, Cons: prefer RSM look, does not know much about Biocubes (Researched mostly RSM, as I prefered the look, but now hesitating)

3) Or should I splurge on a new RSM 130D? I found a package of silver RSM 130D + stand + RSM starter kit + :-) $75 Liveaquaria gift card :-) for ~$860 (includes shipping). Of course, I would generally prefer this option, but I am on an already tight businness and expect to sell the package in about two years to upgrade to 60-130G reef.

Alll help and comments appreciated!

Sugar Magnolia
08/02/2010, 11:58 AM
If those were my choices I would definitely go with the Oceanic with the upgraded lighting. With that lighting, you would easily be able to keep clams and an anemone when the tank has aged a bit.

Magick88
08/02/2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Magnolia,

Thank you for such a prompt answer! I sort of included BioCube in the last moment when I saw such a nice deal on it - I only wish their stand and design would be as sleek as RSM ...

Magick88
08/02/2010, 10:52 PM
Bump - anyone else has a comment or advice?