PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe epoxy putty?

wallj
08/02/2010, 12:12 PM
so i keep having a problem with my rock falling over in my tank. and i wanted to take care of it before one smashed a coral or something. i want to stick all the rocks together so they wont move and my corals. i bought some regular stuff at menards that is called harvey's plumbers epoxy putty. i wanted to make sure it was safe to use in the tank before i actually did it

Sugar Magnolia
08/02/2010, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't use it unless it specifically states that it is safe to use in a marine environment. You really don't know if it will leach anything into the tank. There are several reef safe epoxies you can use. HoldFast, AquaMend and AquaStick are three that are safe to use.

DustinB
08/02/2010, 02:22 PM
Go to home depot. They carry something called JB Weld - Water Weld now. Supposed to be the same as aquamend. I used it in my tanks to prevent a rock slide, no ill effects and didn't mess with my skimmer.

ludnix
08/02/2010, 02:46 PM
It should be safe to use, I personally have found Aqua-Scape Epoxy to be the most effective epoxy though.

keith sprague
08/02/2010, 02:50 PM
JB water weld for me too no probs w/ it. home depot

sslak
08/02/2010, 03:04 PM
PC-Marine epoxy putty works great...fish tanks is listed right on the label.

I get it at Ace Hardware.

Dukey
08/02/2010, 07:25 PM
I've used the same epoxy putty from Menard's for some time now in my reef and have never had an issue. I've used the aquarium specific stuff also, and they all smell the same, I'm quite sure it is all the same stuff.

wallj
08/03/2010, 10:42 AM
it says you can use it on fish tanks and it says it is safe for potable water so i dont see a problem for fish

hubtech
09/12/2017, 08:55 AM
i know this is a terribly old post.... so call me the grave digger..... but can you use this stuff in an active tank? say I get a new frag, or want to stick two rocks together... but i've got fish and coral on the tank, I can just mix the putty, attach said frags or rocks, and not worry with JB Water Weld?

lieberca
09/12/2017, 09:34 AM
i know this is a terribly old post.... so call me the grave digger..... but can you use this stuff in an active tank? say I get a new frag, or want to stick two rocks together... but i've got fish and coral on the tank, I can just mix the putty, attach said frags or rocks, and not worry with JB Water Weld?

Yep, I've never had any issue using this in a live tank. Maybe if you went crazy applying this all over, but for spot applications it's no problem

top shelf
09/12/2017, 10:29 AM
I gave the new aquamaxx reef welder a try for my aquascape and really like it. It's plastic pellets you hear up in warm water and use it like any other epoxy. The best part being if you don't like it with some effort it comes apart and you can reheat and try again.