PDA

View Full Version : Growing Frags, optimal PAR and color temp

BladeBoques
08/02/2010, 12:17 PM
I understand that coral use the zoanthellea (sp) to get nutrients from and that those bacteria use the PUR (photosynthetic usable radiation), of around 420-500nm. I am looking at beefing up my tank 420 range simply for a bluer look. Its in my living room lol!

I need to replace two 175W MHs and am considering taking both to 20k and using 2 True Actinics in the hood as well. Does anyone know if 14K-15K may provide a better growth rate for the bacteria on hard corals?

As far as I know the PAR (Parenthetically active radiation) is better with lower K value, but the PUR is almost unchanged, loss of 1% or so. And if they can't use any of the additional light spectrum I may as well make it look cool haha.

Thanks in advance

chimmike
08/02/2010, 12:18 PM
10k will provide much better growth than 20k, while 20k is much bluer.

Phoenix 14k's are a pretty good balance, IMO.

snarkes
08/02/2010, 12:32 PM
What about Reeflux 12Ks? I'm running those and they look veeerrry similar to the color I was getting out of the 20Ks. I dont know about the growth though. I'm using crappy parabolic reflectors, but will be upgrading to Lumenmax Elites soon enough.

MCary
08/02/2010, 03:09 PM
I got the best growth and brightest true color with 10k. I use 14K now, but that is for the better asthetic appeal of the entire tank itself. My frag tank still has 10k for color and growth.

SkyPapa
08/02/2010, 04:07 PM
I used 250w 10K reeflux on icecaps for 4 or 5 years and while I always have had good growth,
2 months ago I changed to 250w radiums on a hamilton m80 ballasts.
and I have seen a spurt of growth on all of my sps.
Especially on some stuff like my carolinianas and a poker star monti which were kinda just sitting there...
The lps not so much but still growing.
No proof of anything here, just an observation.

edit;
Oh yea, the reefluxes were about 5 months old and I ususally changed at about 9 months.