PDA

View Full Version : hammer coral

billy71
08/02/2010, 06:07 PM
Could a crab eat or pick at a hammer coral. My lights came on and my hammer coral has 12 dead heads in the middle overnight. And one of my crabs were in the center. Could he have eatin it. Bc everything else in the tank is fine.

jfingers8
08/02/2010, 06:11 PM
do you see brown jelly on the heads of the colony? it can be brown jelly disease which can kill in 24 hrs or less.

Cozmo4
08/02/2010, 07:50 PM
Could a crab eat or pick at a hammer coral. My lights came on and my hammer coral has 12 dead heads in the middle overnight. And one of my crabs were in the center. Could he have eatin it. Bc everything else in the tank is fine.

Very possibly. What kind of crab?

jfingers8
08/02/2010, 08:03 PM
if it's like a emerald crab or sally light foot or something i wouldn't think they could consume 12 heads overnight.

Hemlock71
08/02/2010, 08:12 PM
if it's like a emerald crab or sally light foot or something i wouldn't think they could consume 12 heads overnight.

I wouldn't think so either, they are probably just cleaning up from whatever did the damage. Is there any other sign besides the crabs?

chimmike
08/03/2010, 07:21 AM
No crab is reef safe except for maybe porcelain crabs.
Expect the worst, plan on the crab being the offender. I had emerald crabs eat $60 SPS frags on me.

jacksonpt
08/03/2010, 08:48 AM
i wouldn't think so either, they are probably just cleaning up from whatever did the damage. Is there any other sign besides the crabs?

+1

jb61264
08/03/2010, 10:49 AM
have any corals nearby that could have stung the hammer?

Beanfish
08/03/2010, 12:09 PM
My Emerald Crab killed a head of Frog Spawn and a head Of Hammer. It took him a few weeks of picking at it though. I wouldn't think that a single crab could kill 12 heads in 24 hours.

billy71
08/03/2010, 09:04 PM
NO not really jelly just like stringy muchous after its gone.There are no corals nearby to sting it. But its only in the center i wonder if the crab was picking at it when the lights were off bc they close up real small. No other corals seem to be effected by anything im going to check parameters dont think thats the problem. Tonight looks the same does not seem to be anymore dead. well see tommorrow. thanks

mortis13
08/04/2010, 06:37 AM
i couldnt grow soft corals for the life of me but i could torches, hammers even an acro or two, what was i doing wrong? nothing, i crept up on the tank one night and found a strange little nudibrach/thing/alien/monster chewing his way through my third attempt at xenia! i was outraged (steamin) so i got my disciplinary tool (takeout fork, cable tied to a piece of plastic coat hanger) and went for the full harpoon shot, with images of angry gods in my mind (poseidon actually) and bang! it exploded into a cloud of little creatures like replicators or something and i freaked out thinking their all going to be like hydras and i'll have a thousand more by dawn. i changed weapons and netted as many as i could as they were blown around the tank an went back to bed paranoid. the next day nothing, but that night i was waiting with everything i may need for a full scale invasion and sure enough 'it' rocks up to finish of the xenia but this time i used garden hose and set up a siphon and jabbed it with the hose end and sucked the whole thing down in one go, bits n all. yes! then it was taken out the back to be brutally murdered. now its all good ;).

mortis13
08/04/2010, 06:47 AM
sorry, what i meant to say was anything can happen and will, get amongst it, find out.

kelso1980
08/04/2010, 07:08 AM
i couldnt grow soft corals for the life of me but i could torches, hammers even an acro or two, what was i doing wrong? nothing, i crept up on the tank one night and found a strange little nudibrach/thing/alien/monster chewing his way through my third attempt at xenia! i was outraged (steamin) so i got my disciplinary tool (takeout fork, cable tied to a piece of plastic coat hanger) and went for the full harpoon shot, with images of angry gods in my mind (poseidon actually) and bang! it exploded into a cloud of little creatures like replicators or something and i freaked out thinking their all going to be like hydras and i'll have a thousand more by dawn. i changed weapons and netted as many as i could as they were blown around the tank an went back to bed paranoid. the next day nothing, but that night i was waiting with everything i may need for a full scale invasion and sure enough 'it' rocks up to finish of the xenia but this time i used garden hose and set up a siphon and jabbed it with the hose end and sucked the whole thing down in one go, bits n all. yes! then it was taken out the back to be brutally murdered. now its all good ;).

Hahahaha thank you for that!

mortis13
08/04/2010, 07:36 AM
stay posted, i just put a 2inch niger in a 180gal reef community and when i say 'community' i mean geeks, all of em (beautiful, but geeks).

billy71
08/05/2010, 07:44 PM
well i think there are 2 more heads dead today. I dont know what is going on

mortis13
08/06/2010, 08:09 PM
is there any brown jelly? i have lost duncans to it overnight. check your phos?

mortis13
08/06/2010, 08:11 PM
i had stringy stuff all down one side of a lobo and found that when a nearby torch expanded very large it would just touch it, but it lived.