PDA

View Full Version : Is this dinos? I'm sad..

Aquaman101
08/02/2010, 07:52 PM
Can anyone tell me if these are dino's?

I was battling cyano for a while and I added BRS GFO in a filter bag to my HOB overflow and it seemed to be doing the trick for a while. All the algae below my sandbed on the glass was breaking up and dissipating.

Here's a pic of the rock with cyano before I added the GFO:
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/donovanwalton/Fish%20Tank/th_IMG_4507.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/donovanwalton/Fish%20Tank/?action=view&current=IMG_4507.jpg)

Here's is a pic from today:
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/donovanwalton/Fish%20Tank/th_IMG_4714.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/donovanwalton/Fish%20Tank/?action=view&current=IMG_4714.jpg)

Is this cyano converting into dino's?

This rock is in a lowerflow area and some of the other rocks have bubbles on the under side of them. I've even seen little bubbles on the snails' shells!

This is depressing.

Some history. I bought this tank setup online and it was in bad shape when I picked it up. It was covered in cyano. I sprayed down the tank and cleaned the cyano off the glass, but I didn't wash the live rock off. I replaced the entire sandbed. I've had this pre-existing tank set up with a new sandbed for 8 weeks.

I have a Reef Octopus BH100F HOB Skimmer running as well as a HOB filter with a brand new carbon pack, denitrate bag and the BRS GFO I mentioned above.

I recently upgraded from 135 watts of PC bulbs to 6x54 Watt T5 Nova Extreme Pro system about 2 weeks ago.

I feed very lightly with frozen mysis shrimp that is rinsed in RO/DI water.

I do 20% PWC weekly with premixed Instant Ocean saltwater from my LFS.

Please help...or provide some words of encouragement at least.

outy
08/02/2010, 08:31 PM
looks like dinos to me

could just be part of the new tank break in and possibly some stuff leeching ot of the old dirty rock.

if you keep after it like your doing i would think in a few weeks youll have a handle on it.

i would blow it off with a turky baster and use a fine mesh net to get out as much as possible.

cleaning filter socks often helps to if you run them

Aquaman101
08/02/2010, 08:48 PM
Forgot to mention. I am getting some coralline algae growth now....so, I thought my nutrients were getting better.

Aquaman101
08/02/2010, 10:18 PM
I did change from PhosGaurd to BRS GFO to.

The PhosGuard did good at removing the phospates as I saw the cyano start to disappear.

I noticed the cyano starting to return after a couple weeks and assumed the PhosGaurd had become saturated. I decided to give BRS GFO a try as it was on sale.

Anyone else noticed dino's showing up after changing GFO brands?

Mavrk
08/02/2010, 10:34 PM
Sounds like normal cycling to me. The rock is going to leech for a while if it was not maintained well before you got it. Plus the higher lights can have an affect. Just keep up with the water changes. It should pass soon enough. But I'm sorry to say you might expect some hair algae after the dinos are gone. But there are things to help that as well should this occur (lights out for a few days, higher Mg, etc).

The questions I have are:

Parameters (Salinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, Calcium, Alk, Mg)
Any stock not listed in your sig?
How old are the filters on your HOB?
Are you running Carbon (if yes, what brand and how)?

Aquaman101
08/03/2010, 07:38 AM
Sounds like normal cycling to me. The rock is going to leech for a while if it was not maintained well before you got it. Plus the higher lights can have an affect. Just keep up with the water changes. It should pass soon enough. But I'm sorry to say you might expect some hair algae after the dinos are gone. But there are things to help that as well should this occur (lights out for a few days, higher Mg, etc).

The questions I have are:

Parameters (Salinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, Calcium, Alk, Mg)
Any stock not listed in your sig?
How old are the filters on your HOB?
Are you running Carbon (if yes, what brand and how)?

I wrapped my tank in black lawn bags last night as there is ambient light that gets into the room with the tank cause of very large bay windows.

My sig is accurate regarding my stock list. Although I only have 1 clown now. Fricking powerhead got one of my little guys.

I put a new carbon packet in 3 days ago when I did a PWC. I'll have to look, but I think it's an AquaClear packet of carbon. I changed those once a month.

The bag of De-Nitrate has been in there for a while. I'll remove that.

I put the bag of BRS GFO in probably 3 weeks ago. Maybe it's saturated already.

SG - 1.025
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phos - 0 - .5 - I hate the API test kit for this..I can't ever tell what color it is. Probably at least .5 since I have algae to start with.
Calcium - 400
Alk - 9
Mg - Not sure. Don't have a Mg test kit.

Should I do a water change if it's dino's? I've read that water changes can make dino's worse.

Thanks Everyone! I'm trying to stay positive, but I guess I should have expected this when the tank was in such bad condition when I picked it up.

I welcome any other thoughts!

troyman
08/03/2010, 01:21 PM
i would stay with phosoguard change it every 3 days till its gone gfo does not work as well in my opinion used phosogurd for years never a problem if there is i just change every 3 days till its gone good luck

Aquaman101
08/03/2010, 03:06 PM
Any other thoughts? Any who thinks I might be overreacting and it's not dino's?

I read all this stuff about elevating PH but that you have to do it frequently during the day.

I have no way do to that currently as I work outside my home.

Rough start for a beginner :(