PDA

View Full Version : New tank: Getting worried about all these brittle stars or brittle worms?

AJimmy419
08/03/2010, 10:55 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to the hobby and have a 34 gallon RedSeaMax. I bought the tank from a guy who had been running it for about a year. He gave me his live rock & sand, his water, and couple little coral frags. My tank has been running at my house for about a week. I wanna start adding coral and fish, but I really want to understand how to work the tank before I buy anything. Over the past week, I've been noticing lots of living organisms. I started to notice a whole lot of brittle stars recently, and I do mean a lot? Now, I've been reading up on brittle worms as well, and I'm starting to think, maybe these are brittle worms. The legs that are sticking out have a color pattern of brown and white. One thing I do notice is that where there's one leg, there's a couple more right by it. So would that mean that they are brittle stars or brittle worms? Is it bad to have a lot of these hiding in the rocks? Do I have to worry about a infestation of brittle stars or worms? Is there any type of "clean-up crew" member that I can get, that will eat all the bad stuff in my tank?

Also I started noticing a small, 1 inch long, yellow worm, with multiple stringy heads. There seems to be a lot of them. Any thoughts on these? Are they good or bad for my tank? I think they are called Medusa Worms.

Sorry for such the long post. Appreciate any feedback on the matter.

Sugar Magnolia
08/03/2010, 11:01 AM
Sounds to me like you have micro brittle star arms sticking out of the rockwork. They are scavengers and a very good thing to have. Bristleworms are also a good hitch hiker. They eat left over food and detritus. The yellow worm you described is likely a cirratulid worm, also beneficial.

Bookmark this site for future hitchhiker reference - http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

AJimmy419
08/03/2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds to me like you have micro brittle star arms sticking out of the rockwork. They are scavengers and a very good thing to have. Bristleworms are also a good hitch hiker. They eat left over food and detritus. The yellow worm you described is likely a cirratulid worm, also beneficial.

Bookmark this site for future hitchhiker reference - http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

Thanks a lot. That's a great site. I appreciate it. So I don't need to worry, right?

AJimmy419
08/03/2010, 11:11 AM
This site is amazing. I post a question, and within 5 minutes, I am getting a reply and help with my problem. Thank you everyone on this forum.

shifty51008
08/03/2010, 11:13 AM
nope no need to worry, they are a free addition to your cleanup crew.

and thats why we are here, we love to help

AJimmy419
08/03/2010, 11:24 AM
nope no need to worry, they are a free addition to your cleanup crew.

and thats why we are here, we love to help

I know. It's amazing. The guy I bought the tank from said I had to go to this site. He said, everyone loves to help out. And i'm finding that out right now. Thanks!!! Plenty more questions to come!!! Sorry in advance!!!

Sugar Magnolia
08/03/2010, 11:34 AM
Plenty more questions to come!!! Sorry in advance!!!

No need to apologize! That's what this site is here for. ;)

If you haven't done so yet, read through the articles linked in this sticky - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

AJimmy419
08/03/2010, 12:18 PM
No need to apologize! That's what this site is here for. ;)

If you haven't done so yet, read through the articles linked in this sticky - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.

IAReefer
08/03/2010, 01:09 PM
The yellow worm with the stringy heads sound like a spagetti worm to me. Dont worry about them either, they are good for the tank.

Sk8r
08/03/2010, 04:19 PM
any 'bloom' tends to be temporary. Once the population has eaten up what made it 'bloom' it will fall in line with the reality of food availability in your tank. You can solve a lot of problems just by waiting for them to run out of noshies.