PDA

View Full Version : email problems

glenvdm
08/03/2010, 01:54 PM
I seem to be having problems with my AC3. When my params get out of limits my AC3 is not emailing me, I did a test email with aquanotes and i do receive that email, but alarm emails are not coming through, I do have the enable function ON, on the setup and have used one of my email addresses as the senders details and have got the receivers details another of my email addresses, what could my problem be??

Can the AC3 email me without aquanotes running all the time?

ciphros
08/03/2010, 03:42 PM
What firmware are you running on the AC3? You shouldn't need aquanotes at all with an AC3, the e-mail can be configured directly from the unit in the setup>e-mail section. Or, if you have the newest firmware (version 3.4), there is a net setup link on the webpage for the AC3 that will allow you to configure e-mail details as well.

schwaggs
08/03/2010, 03:48 PM
Make sure you have the default gateway and DNS server settings correct on the AC3. These are not needed if you are only accessing the web interface but are needed for sending email.

RussM
08/03/2010, 06:54 PM
Schwaggs is right on the money - check those two values. Typically, they should be the same IP address as your router.

If that doesn't resolve the issue...

From a Command Prompt, telnet into the controller and login. Then issue the following commands:
a. cons
b. 1 maild
c. mail

Copy and paste the output here.

glenvdm
08/04/2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Russ,

I cannot telnet my AC3, it says could not open connection to the host on port 23, connect failed. I typed telnet 10.0.0.123(My AC3 IP address)

What my IT guy at work told me to do was to check the dns settings on my router, they are blank, then he told me to open the C: prompt and type ipconfig/all. I did this and copied the dns servers displayed there and copied those into the AC3 but it still doesn't work.

glenvdm
08/04/2010, 10:47 AM
What firmware are you running on the AC3? You shouldn't need aquanotes at all with an AC3, the e-mail can be configured directly from the unit in the setup>e-mail section. Or, if you have the newest firmware (version 3.4), there is a net setup link on the webpage for the AC3 that will allow you to configure e-mail details as well.

I am running Firmware 3.40.

liquidfunk
08/04/2010, 03:05 PM
10.0.0.123 isnt a typical home network IP address, are you sure you dont have an address starting 192.168.X.XXX ?

I am far from a network guru, but Ive never heard of that kind of address to assigned by a router.

aquamanic
08/04/2010, 03:21 PM
Isn't that an Apple address range?

RussM
08/04/2010, 04:01 PM
While 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x are by far the most prevalent IP subnets used for home networks, there are many other choices. The main reason for the popularity of 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x is simply that most SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) router manufacturers default to one of these two subnets, and people just take it as it is out of the box. Many SOHO routers can use address ranges other than 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x.
Apple AirPort Extreme units do default to using 10.0.0.x, mainly because Apple is Apple and likes to be different :D

I use 192.168.99.x, 192.168.100.x, and 192.168.101.x at home. Don't ask me to explain why ;)

Without getting into all the geeky details, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x, and 192.168.0.x - 192.168.255.x are all allocated and reserved for use exclusively on on private networks. If anyone wants to know more, Google or Bing 'RFC1918'.

So, with all that being said, 10.0.0.123 is a perfectly legitimate address for Glen's AC3.

RussM
08/04/2010, 04:12 PM
Doh! I just re-read this thread from Post #1, and subsequently smacked myself soundly in the forehead. ;)

You need to shut down AquaNotes for Windows before you attempt to establish a telnet session. The AC3 does not support concurrent telnet sessions... only one at a time, and AquaNotes for Windows uses telnet.

If you are running AquaNotes as a service, you'll need to stop the service as well.

glenvdm
08/05/2010, 01:00 PM
Schwaggs is right on the money - check those two values. Typically, they should be the same IP address as your router.

If that doesn't resolve the issue...

From a Command Prompt, telnet into the controller and login. Then issue the following commands:
a. cons
b. 1 maild
c. mail

Copy and paste the output here.

No worries Russ,

Ok I have now managed to telnet my ac3 and after the very first cons command it keeps saying SMTP: smtp.att.yahoo.com unkn host
httpPush: aqua.aquacontroller.com unkn host. the 1 maild command does not do anything and neither does the mail command.

glenvdm
08/05/2010, 01:00 PM
Isn't that an Apple address range?

I have a Siemans router.

RussM
08/05/2010, 01:54 PM
No worries Russ,

Ok I have now managed to telnet my ac3 and after the very first cons command it keeps saying SMTP: smtp.att.yahoo.com unkn host
httpPush: aqua.aquacontroller.com unkn host. the 1 maild command does not do anything and neither does the mail command.

That first part is a DNS lookup error... check the DNS server entries in the AC3. It should be the same as shown by your PC if you open a Command Prompt and do an ipconfig /all command. smtp.att.yahoo.com is the proper name to use.

The httpPush error has nothing to do with email, but we can easily fix that one too. In the AC3 menu (not the web page), look for a feature called AquaServ, and disable it.

glenvdm
08/06/2010, 07:21 AM
Russ, you are a star man thanks very much! looks like it is working now.:celeb3:

I'll let you know if I have any further problems.

glenvdm
08/23/2010, 10:43 AM
Ok now that the email is sorted out, i get like 30 emails a day coming through from my AC3. Is there any way I can limit the number of emails that come through??