PDA

View Full Version : Stray snapping/pistol shrimp

JSeymour
08/03/2010, 02:26 PM
Over a year ago, I purchased a birdsnest from a lfs. It had a beautiful tiny pink with purple spots pistol shrimp(looks like a purple reef lobster). It lived in the birdsnest for quite some time and became quite tame. Eventually, I moved the birdsnest to another tank for more space. He went along with it, but soon he was no where to be seen. A week later I could hear him at night, and of course now, a few times an hour, all day long. His snap has gotten louder over time, so I would assume he's doing well, although I haven't seen him. In the next week I plan on reaquascaping this reef, and removing the fu manchu lion.

So, my question. Will all species of pistol pair up with a shrimp goby? If not, will mine? He is gorgeous and I'd love to see him.

GhostCon1
08/03/2010, 02:40 PM
I have not heard of them not pairing up, but it all depends on the two. If you are 100% certain it is a pistol then I would say they would.

Whenever you get the goby, you should try and locate the shrimp and release the goby near it, thus increasing the likelihood of them finding each other and pairing up.

JSeymour
08/03/2010, 10:38 PM
Well, after searching online it appears to be Alpheus lottini, but they are coral symbiants, not goby. Oh well, maybe someday it'll move back in a coral so I can see it.