PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce 'nudibranch'?

Flame_Angel
08/03/2010, 09:57 PM
I had a customer come into my store today looking for a 'noodybranch' (branch as in, the brown things sticking out of trees). It took me a moment to realize what they were looking for, but once they did I couldn't help but laugh. I pronounce it 'noo-de-brank', but I've heard it said a hundred other ways.

How do you say it?

TampaReefer79
08/03/2010, 10:02 PM
Nude-a-braaaaaank. I knew a guy that used to say Nude-E-branch.

What about Chaeto? Is it Chite-O or Chate-O? Or Kite-O?

Tunze? Toonz? Toonz-E? Ton-Zee?

I'm sure we could go on all night with these. lol

How do you say zooxanthellae? ;)

edwing206
08/03/2010, 10:04 PM
I pronounce it "nudi-branché". It's French. :D

Flame_Angel
08/03/2010, 10:07 PM
How do you say zooxanthellae? ;)
Zoh-zan-thell-ay.

That sounds like something delicious made with butter, cinnamon and sugar.

ejk17
08/03/2010, 10:40 PM

LOL too Funny^^^^^^^^^

LaOtIn
08/03/2010, 11:22 PM
nudie-bank

ya know, get your cash and get an eye full at the same time!

cope-a-pods

no real definition on that one lol

a-nen-na-nen-na-mean-ne

ah, seriously, thats my daughters way to say Anemone, cause thats the way daddy told her to say it! cause its funny when we go to our LFS and she says it, we all smile :) and the owner told her one time that Anemones can be mean to fish, hense the "mean" part in the word

an-thigh-as fish

anthias fish, ya know lol

Frick-n-Frags
08/04/2010, 05:42 AM
How do YOU pronounce 'nudibranch'?

por -no -tree

greenbean36191
08/04/2010, 05:47 AM
noo-de-brank

The ch in Latin names usually makes a hard k sound

Chaetomorpha is the same
Kee-to-morph-uh

There's the hard "k" sound from the "ch" and the "ae" in scientific names is usually pronounced as "ee." I know someone is going to come along and point out that in classical Latin "ae" sounds like "i" but, scientific names don't follow classical Latin rules.

mortis13
08/04/2010, 06:40 AM
noodie-brak

hoffy02
08/04/2010, 08:51 AM

por -no -tree

Freakin classic!!!! :beer:

Sugar Magnolia
08/04/2010, 09:40 AM

por -no -tree

:lol: silly man!

Beaun
08/04/2010, 09:45 AM
ˈnjuːdɨbræŋk

Comes from the Latin nudus, naked, and the Greek brankhia, gills.

por -no -tree

That sounds like it would hurt.

paal
08/04/2010, 10:20 AM
noo-de-brank

^

DarthAWM
08/04/2010, 10:45 AM
Damn this hobby is so much easier in type:crazy1:

Eldredge
08/04/2010, 10:50 AM
This is helpful/cool:

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=nudibranch&submit=Submit

patsfan1130
08/04/2010, 11:20 AM
What is the proper way to say Tunze? I really do not know

TampaReefer79
08/04/2010, 11:54 AM
Zoh-zan-thell-ay.

That's how I say it...but I have been arguing with a friend for YEARS about this. He says 'zoh-zan-thell-uh'. At least that's better than the LFS employee that calls it zoo...

TampaReefer79
08/04/2010, 11:55 AM
What is the proper way to say Tunze? I really do not know

I think we should ask this in the Tunze forum. I know people that have been in this hobby for yeeeeears that argue about this. I say Ton-zeee.

Eldredge
08/04/2010, 12:14 PM
That's how I say it...but I have been arguing with a friend for YEARS about this. He says 'zoh-zan-thell-uh'. At least that's better than the LFS employee that calls it zoo...

Looks like noone can decide for sure:

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=zooxanthellae&submit=Submit

I will quite with the link now, but I do find it helpful. You can just type in any word and hear the pronunciation.

Paco
08/04/2010, 01:19 PM
Toon-ze is the official word from the Germans, at least that's what I read somewhere.

And noody-brank.

Herzberg
08/04/2010, 02:59 PM
I'm Danish and speak german. Tunze would be pronounced as stated above "toon-ze" - short e sound like in earth. If it was "tun-zeee" the name would have to have been "Tunzee" (two e's). Zee btw means sea, that would have made sense ;) I hope my explanation made sense too.

TampaReefer79
08/04/2010, 03:36 PM
I'm Danish and speak german. Tunze would be pronounced as stated above "toon-ze" - short e sound like in earth. If it was "tun-zeee" the name would have to have been "Tunzee" (two e's). Zee btw means sea, that would have made sense ;) I hope my explanation made sense too.

That is awesome info! Thanks! I just feel wierd saying it that way, it sounds wrong. ;) lol

Floowid
08/04/2010, 04:25 PM
Noo - D

greenbean36191
08/05/2010, 05:59 AM
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit
Just be careful with this. Most of the words I tried out it got right, (nudibranch, Acropora, Astraea, Chaetomorpha, polychaete) but it got Porites very wrong. It's pore-eye-tees, but they pronounced it pore-ites. I'd argue that it was also half-wrong on zooxanthellae.

That's how I say it...but I have been arguing with a friend for YEARS about this. He says 'zoh-zan-thell-uh'.
Well your friend is right if he's only talking about a single cell of algae (zooxanthella). If you're talking about multiple cells though, the "ae" ending in scientific Latin almost always makes a long ee sound, though some people pronounce it as "eye" in some cases. I've heard the word a million times from a hundred different scientists, but I don't think I've ever heard zooxanthellae pronounced any way other than zoh-zan-thell-ee.

greenbean36191
08/05/2010, 06:04 AM
Oh and while I'm thinking about pronouncing words in the hobby- Chromis= chrome-iss, not chrome-ees.