PDA

View Full Version : Tang waste production

ejk17
08/03/2010, 11:26 PM
When it comes to adding new fish to a system i always wonder how can you tell it is overstocked? When i am adding fish to my tanks i worry mainly about the overall waste production of the fish that I am adding.

So my question is, how can you compare the waste production of lets say a Yellow eyed Kole tang to that of smaller fish such as chromis, damsels or other types of smaller fish? I read all these threads about people overstocking their tanks and it always seems to be that there are a bunch of smaller fish and not as many large.

I am curios because i am wanting to move a small yellow eyed kole tang to my 90 which can be considered pretty full but i am unsure if i can add another fish. I already have 2 tangs in the 90 right now but they are amazingly passive towards each other, so i am wanting to put in this other tang because i am adding a carpet anemone to my other tank and i dont want to see the kole get stuck to him and get eaten.

My stocking for the 90 gallon with 40 gallon sump and a pretty heavy duty skimmer is:

blue spotted naso (temporary)
yellow tang
lamarks angel
flame hawk
false perc clown
royal gramma
sebae anemone

All fish are small and the largest is the blue spotted naso which is 4 inches

I am not going to ignore what opinions people have, I am not set on keeping this kole tang in the 90 but i just wanted some honest opinions.

thanks

ejk17
08/04/2010, 10:06 AM
Bump

0rbital
08/04/2010, 10:12 AM
Doesn't seem overstocked to me. The yellow tang is fine I wouldn't put a Kole in there too. Definitely don't keep the Naso in there.

MCary
08/04/2010, 10:34 AM
Pretty subjective up until the point it becomes obvious.

There must be enough oxygen for all the fish.
There must be enough biological filtration to reduce the nitrogen.
There must be enough room to avoid terretorial disputes and fish going nuts.

Fish poo is not the problem. There are clean up crews and corals that take care of that. Its the urea they secrete as well as wasted food that get trapped in rocks, filters etc.

TampaReefer79
08/04/2010, 12:03 PM
I'm just curious what a blue spotted naso is...are you talking about a vlamingii?

ejk17
08/04/2010, 12:14 PM
I'm just curious what a blue spotted naso is...are you talking about a vlamingii?

Yupp and i know my tank is too small for him thats why its temporary