PDA

View Full Version : lace rock newbie

nevik
08/04/2010, 09:50 AM
I'm rather new to SW, but I've been working with FW for 4 years. I've had community tank, guppy breeder tanks and cichlid tanks. I took some advice from the LFS and delved into FW before starting SW, which was great advice. I recently found a 50 gal bowfront on craigs list for 20 bucks and lots of elbow grease later its a nice tank. Been doing lots of research lately on SW and I have come to the conclusion that I still have to wait till I can buy stuff like the ro/di which seems to be very important. My question is this, I have lace rock in my FW tank now, and was going to add some more soon. When I get ready to start my SW can I use that lace rock as base rock in that tank?

Kfig7
08/04/2010, 10:10 AM
Yes, the lace rock is fine. My 75 gallon fowlr tank is 90% lace rock.

Sugar Magnolia
08/04/2010, 10:25 AM
Just be sure that the tank the rock currently is in has never been treated with copper.

nevik
08/04/2010, 11:38 AM
The tank that the rock is in has only had treated tap water in it...how would I check for the presence of copper?

TampaReefer79
08/04/2010, 12:42 PM
A copper test kit will test for...well, copper. And I did exactly what you're talking about before. I used lace rock (after a good cleaning with a toothbrush because it was pretty dusty) under some nice live rock and after awhile you could only tell the difference because of it's shape.