PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any "Ideas or Suggestions"?

Reapar
08/04/2010, 09:21 AM
Good Morning Folks,

I hope you may be able to help me once again.

I recently Upgraded from a 46 gallon Bow-front to a 72 gallon Bow-front.

I spent quite a bit of money on my lighting for the 46 so I would like to use it on my 72. It is a 36" Current Outer Orbit with 2 MH lights and 4 T5 Actinic.

The place where I am setting up the 72 makes it very hard to hang this light, so I would prefer to use the legs. The problem with that is that the unit is only 36", 37" with the legs on and it needs to span 48". I know I could cut some pieces of wood to go across the tank and have the legs stand on that. I would rather not do that either.

I am putting this tank in an area of my home where it will be a center piece. I would like it to look as professional as possible.

I was hoping there were longer legs or even some kind of kit to extend the legs or something along those line.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

greech
08/04/2010, 09:26 AM
How about a couple of bent rods of some other type of bracket you can bolt to the back of the stand or the wall behind the tank? I see quite a few of these that people use to hang their fixtures from.

As luck wuld have it there is a version made specifically for your fixture. How cool is that! :)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA%60s_Hanging_Arm_System_for_Outer_Orbit_SunDial_HQI_Nova_Extreme_Pro_SunPod_Fixtures._Han ging_Kits_for_Aquarium_Light_Fixtures-Current_USA-CU01092-FILTACMOFTHK-vi.html

RotaryGeek
08/04/2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah i would suggest hanging it then. That sounds like it will be your best bet since it needs to look good.

Reapar
08/04/2010, 10:34 AM
I like your suggestion, thank you.

I am not sure it will work though.

The tank is full at the moment. I measured, the tank is 1 1/2 " from the wall.

I think I can get it behind the tank, but I am not sure how it would get secured.

greech
08/04/2010, 10:57 AM
Anyway you can bolt it in from the underside of the cabinet? Do you have any vertical supports on the rear wall of your cabinet that you can drill holes through so that the bolt goes in front to back? If you don't have any verticals maybe you can add them? They don;t have to be weight bearing and that way you can predrill the holes?

greech
08/04/2010, 11:06 AM
Not your fixture obviously but this video might give you some more ideas. Not sure how the Current hanging kit works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntX_NChYEM&feature=related

Reapar
08/04/2010, 01:30 PM
Thank you all for the Great Ideas.

I should be able to make one of these work for me!

glazer
08/04/2010, 02:14 PM
Reapar,
I'm here in Chicago as well, if you don't have any luck trying to hang your fixture or just plain don't want to hang it I might be able to help you out. Kicking myself for not taking any pictures but I made an acrylic top for a tank that I put risers on as this person had a light as well that was too short for the tank. Of course I guess it wouldn't have to be a whole top, could just be some struts. I like the top idea better myself (think of the eurobracing on an acrylic tank) as that way the whole light fixture isn't just hovering over an open body of water.

Steve

Reapar
08/05/2010, 08:27 AM
Steve,

I am interested in an Acrylic top.

I only see 2 potential problems with it.

1. It sounds expensive and I already blew my budget (and then some)

2. I have a Bowfront tank, I am going to assume it would be much hard to make a top for it.

Anymore input would be awesome.

Thank you,
Chris