PDA

View Full Version : Pocillopora Spawning.

SkyPapa
08/04/2010, 09:46 AM
Well, I don't know if it really called spawning but my pocci colony is making new ones all over my 180G reef.
I have heard of it here before but didn't really expect it in one of my tanks.
I'm gonna have to start killing sps...
Oh, what a world! What a world! They're melting.
Sorry, my grandaughter is watching the Wizard of Oz.
Anyway here are some hand held, quick snaps

You can see the mother to the right and some babies below the blue tort and the cap.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/skypapa/Pocillopora.jpg

Close up.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/skypapa/Pocillopora-2.jpg

The mom with babies in front.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/skypapa/Pocillopora-3.jpg

Jkraft136
08/04/2010, 09:48 AM
Mine have started doing that for about a month now. I thought I was getting some weird new algae

SkyPapa
08/04/2010, 09:50 AM
Mine have started doing that for about a month now. I thought I was getting some weird new algae

Yep, me too.
I think mine have been going about 2 months now.

Toadally
08/04/2010, 10:55 AM
I have a nice colony also....I have heard that they would do that, but I love that coral. It's such a great looking peice.

catman78
08/04/2010, 11:13 AM
I had this happen in a 58 gallon. If will be very difficult to eradicate all of the spawn. I tried for months. I ended up just hacking off the larger ones when they cropped up.

When I upgraded to 120, I got rid of any LR I suspected had any spawn left on it.

Good luck

SkyPapa
08/04/2010, 11:39 AM
Mine are just starting to get little pocci heads.

I'm gonna start by just hacking those.:uzi:

I can see probably 25, so i guess the ones I can't see now will become apparent with time.

I think i will keep one or two babies that I like the placement the found and sell the mother colony.

How big/old were the colonies you folks have when they started spawning?

Toadally
08/04/2010, 12:32 PM
Just keep a tank full of pocillopora! lol

lolgranny
08/04/2010, 12:46 PM
These things are like weeds. lol

My lfs has them EVERRRRYYYWHEREE. he gives them away they grow so fast.

mike810
08/04/2010, 02:54 PM
kalk paste and epoxy putty before it gets out of hand lol

SkyPapa
08/04/2010, 03:04 PM
These things are like weeds. lol

Yes. It appears so.:hmm5:
I have a smaller yellow colony also that I think I'll sell/trade before it spawns.

ChicagoReefOne
08/04/2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah a lot of people in the Chicago Reef club (CMAS) hate pocci, they call it the xenia of SPS lol. It seems like it does have that potential to get out of hand, but that might be one of those good problems.

jd474
08/04/2010, 03:48 PM
They are one of the brooding/self-planulating species, and one that most people don't want to introduce into their systems, as they will settle out everywhere, and can become a nuissance.

buy_baff
08/04/2010, 07:59 PM
Mine did it to about 3 months ago. Now there ar about 30 little ones.

GatorWPB
08/05/2010, 08:14 AM
I have a 3" colony growing on my return nozzle and a small one on the first baffle in my sump!! The sump is only lit by PC bulbs, and its growing, although brown. lol
Silly Pocci

thebanker
08/05/2010, 09:10 AM
That is cool. What a great problem to have! I understand it's too much of a good thing, but still cool.

On that note, anybody want free xenia? No? Dangit...

SkyPapa
08/05/2010, 09:52 AM
That is cool. What a great problem to have! I understand it's too much of a good thing, but still cool.

On that note, anybody want free xenia? No? Dangit...

Yea, I thought it was pretty cool too.
I wish some of my acros would get with that program.

Sorry, I couldn't keep xenia alive 25 years ago and I think I'll pass now.:)

reefsic
08/05/2010, 01:22 PM
My Pocci did the same thing after only being in my tank for about a month or so, about a year ago! The little babies are now mini colonies!!!

Congrats!!!

SkyPapa
08/06/2010, 05:15 PM
They are one of the brooding/self-planulating species, and one that most people don't want to introduce into their systems, as they will settle out everywhere, and can become a nuissance.

I ignored this snarky comment before but I see on another thread I commented in and you said you that have about 2500g tank.
I didn't want to hijack another thread but I started this one.

Anyway , how about posting a photo of your 2500g tank with none of that stuff that most people don't put in their tanks?

SDguy
08/06/2010, 05:29 PM
Very cool, fun stuff.

Mine did that. Only ONE single polyp survived, and I sold off the original. That single polyp grew into a small 5" colony over the years.

SkyPapa
08/06/2010, 06:07 PM
Very cool, fun stuff.

Mine did that. Only ONE single polyp survived, and I sold off the original. That single polyp grew into a small 5" colony over the years.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty cool too, even if it is a pest.:lolspin:
I think I'm gonna let them go for a while and see what happens

buy_baff
08/06/2010, 10:44 PM
Dude I have never herd it refered to as a pest. And think it kind of rude for someone to krap all over your thread like that. I like my little pocci buds lol and I don't think it is agressive anyway so no big deal if it fills in some space. Pluss I think it will look very cool to have them all throughout the tank.

SDguy
08/07/2010, 07:13 AM
I like my little pocci buds lol and I don't think it is agressive anyway so no big deal if it fills in some space.

I forgot to mention, IME, my poci at least, the buds lost most any battle against other SPS, hence only one surviving.

buy_baff
08/07/2010, 08:00 AM
I forgot to mention, IME, my poci at least, the buds lost most any battle against other SPS, hence only one surviving.

My point exactly. Not agressive so not a big deal.

SkyPapa
08/07/2010, 08:31 AM

Ah, that's good to know,as I have some that are close to sps.
I really didn't want to nuke growing sps, even if it is pocci.

Edit;
And thanks for the support buy_baff.

SDguy
08/07/2010, 08:35 AM
Well, the other good part is that even if you have to nuke some, it's easy to do. It's not like it's a majano :uzi:

SkyPapa
08/07/2010, 10:08 AM
Well, the other good part is that even if you have to nuke some, it's easy to do. It's not like it's a majano :uzi:

Never had mojanos but I've fought my share of aiptasia battles.:hammer:

jd474
08/08/2010, 07:39 PM
I ignored this snarky comment before

Nothing "snarky" about it, and sorry if it offended you. I get some people like damicornis, but a lot of people consider it a nuissance. Here's our 6' x 3' culture that was set up for a workshop, and 1 yr. worth of growth:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/saxmansports/damicornis.jpg

So yeah, personally I'd consider it a pest species. It planulates nightly, and can get out of control pretty fast, as it grows everywhere. It's your tank, and if you like it, that's all that matters. No need to get defensive.

Anyway , how about posting a photo of your 2500g tank with none of that stuff that most people don't put in their tanks?

Not sure this has anything to do with this topic...

CleveYank
08/08/2010, 09:27 PM

WOW a TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED GALLON TANK!!!

Yeah really I'd like some more detailed pics.

Looks more like 403 gallons, that is 6 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet deep divided by 231.

Overhead looks nice though pest or not.

Shawnts106
08/08/2010, 10:13 PM
isnt it funny how the species we HATE are always the ones that have the BEST survival strategies...

SkyPapa
08/09/2010, 08:50 AM
OK, jd474.
I'm sure you read the entire post.
Here is the thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887409 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887409)

You say you have 26 anthias. When asked how big your tank is.
You reply, "It's about 2500g".

In this thread you post a photo of a tank we have.

I think that you keep referring to your tank(s) and yet it appears that you are affiliated/associated/employed with an institutional/commercial aquarium and that perhaps you are describing those tanks in your comments in this thread and others.
People on RC generally post about their personal tanks and when posting about others they are identified as such.

So, do you have a personal aquarium and if so which one of the ones you've discussed is it?

If I'm wrong, I'll retract that statement, but your condescension is insulting and your smugness is apparent.

SkyPapa
08/09/2010, 08:57 AM
isnt it funny how the species we HATE are always the ones that have the BEST survival strategies...

Well, I don't hate 'em.:spin1:

But, as I said I wish it was some of my acros were propagating naturally.

And I guess my point of this was that, 40 years ago when I was catching small fish in the Gulf of Mexico for my aquariums or 20 years ago when I was keeping softies, I would never have imagined that I would have SPS spawning in my aquarium.

SDguy
08/09/2010, 10:23 AM
It planulates nightly,

Is that normal for this genus?

jd474
08/09/2010, 02:13 PM
OK, jd474.

People on RC generally post about their personal tanks and when posting about others they are identified as such.

Not necessarily. There are several professional aquarists on here, not to mention all the private forums where information is exchanged as "someone's" systems. If someone designs a system, performs all husbandry aspects, chooses/places livestock, what difference does it make who foots the bill?? For instance, Joe Yauillo posts here frequently about "his" tank, and answers questions about problems with experience gained through "his" tank. It obviously is owned by Atlantis, but would you bust his b***s like this? Would you question a shark expert because they're not keeping 12' sand tigers in their home? Or how about aquaculturists who breed fish or raise coral larvae for a living, because it isn't in their basement? Experience is experience, my friend.

So, do you have a personal aquarium and if so which one of the ones you've discussed is it?

Of course. Also a tank maintenance business on top of the thousands of animals I care for daily. Again, not sure what it matters who pays for what, if you're doing the husbandry, you're doing the husbandry.

If I'm wrong, I'll retract that statement, but your condescension is insulting and your smugness is apparent.

Sorry to try and answer a simple question about coral reproduction that you apparently felt the need to ask. It won't happen in the future. Good luck!

Is that normal for this genus?

For this species, yes, it's typical. You could collect/settle the larvae, yourself, if you want to, to see just how much/often they do. The larvae already contain zooxanthellae, and are big enough to see with the naked eye (~1 mm).

SkyPapa
08/09/2010, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=jd474;17488220]Not necessarily. There are several professional aquarists on here,

(snip)

QUOTE]
This is true.

However, I don't think they have misrepresented themselves as you have.

Regardless, I'm done.
You can say what you please, as this is the internet, after all.
But, your expertise not withstanding, I would appreciate your absense from any thread I may start in the future.

Regards.

SDguy
08/09/2010, 05:41 PM
For this species, yes, it's typical. You could collect/settle the larvae, yourself, if you want to, to see just how much/often they do. The larvae already contain zooxanthellae, and are big enough to see with the naked eye (~1 mm).

I typed genus on purpose.

jd474
08/09/2010, 05:47 PM
I typed genus on purpose.

Then no, they are all a little different, and as far as I know not all are even brooders. Unfortunately coral reproduction isn't very "uniform" in certain aspects.

SkyPapa
08/10/2010, 08:34 AM
Heh. (tm)

SkyPapa
08/10/2010, 09:02 AM
Then no, they are all a little different, and as far as I know not all are even brooders. Unfortunately coral reproduction isn't very "uniform" in certain aspects.

Sorry, I renege, As long as you keep posting here, I will ask that you get the OWNER'S
permission and post a photo of your 2500g tank.

RokleM
08/10/2010, 01:30 PM
Alright... lets keep this on track without the personal jabs or bickering...

<i><br>Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.</i>

reefinder
08/10/2010, 06:55 PM
man I love this hobby!

noobtothereef
08/10/2010, 07:19 PM
[violation]