PDA

View Full Version : reef octopus skimmer question

Reneeslane
08/04/2010, 11:41 AM
I have my reef octopus skimmer in the sump. The bottom is filled with white bubble, the neck is filled with brown gunk. I usually clean out the "head" when I do my bi-weekly water changes. I'm noticing that very little has been getting all the way to the top over the last month and there is almost nothing in there now. Should I be cleaning out the entire skimmer or is this normal.

sslak
08/04/2010, 11:54 AM
Where is the "bubble line" where the bubbly water meets the foam? Mine is adjusted to around 1/3 of the way up the neck of the collection cup section.

It sounds like you either need to:
A.) adjust the tube more to the "closed" position to raise the water line in the skimmer body up into the neck
or
B.) clean the air line tube that feed the pump (run HOT RO/DI down the tube)

The whole skimmer should be cleaned inside and out every 6 months or so.

Reneeslane
08/04/2010, 12:04 PM
the bubbles end about 2 inches above the writing "Reef Octopus" and then the gunk begins till it reaches the black ring. So, you're suggesting I change the tube position to more closed? It had been fully cleaned about 3 mos ago.

StrongMN
08/04/2010, 02:13 PM
Check with the instructions for depth as well. I have found through many other tanks that the reef octopus skimmers seem to be slightly depth dependent in the sumps for maximizing the pump operation as well as the height of the bubble column.