PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a sump depth!

a.browning
08/05/2010, 12:42 AM
55 gallon display tank. I have a 10 gallon aquarium to use as a sump (housing my skimmer and return), which is 12" tall. My skimmer requires 5.75-6" of water. So my options are:

A. Run the sump at 6"
Pros: Maximum safety during a power outage
Cons: Not as much water in return section, more top offs.

B. Run the sump at 8" with skimmer on stand
Pros: More volume, deeper return section
Cons: Maybe not safe during power outage

C. Run the sump at 7 inches as a compromise of both situations, as long as it could handle the above mentioned power outage water.

I'm highly considering a ATO unit, but as of right now, I do not have one. Just something to factor in. I wish I could go bigger but I have very limited space. If this was your sump, which option would you choose? Thanks!

rhoptowit
08/05/2010, 01:23 AM
i would get a larger sump.

inlandreef
08/05/2010, 04:53 AM
I agree with the larger sump. 20 Gal. should fit.

Canadian Reefer
08/05/2010, 05:21 AM
+1 Larger sump, use a rubbermaid tote they are cheap and available everywhere. The
10g might not be able to hold enough water to run your skimmer and take the water that your DT will dump into it when you turn off your return pump.

Canadian Reefer
08/05/2010, 05:22 AM
+1 Larger sump, use a rubbermaid tote they are cheap and available everywhere. The
10g might not be able to hold enough water to run your skimmer and take the water that your DT will dump into it when you turn off your return pump.

p.s. use the 10g as your fuge

shenbec
08/05/2010, 05:32 AM
If you have to use the 10g I would divide it into two sections (get a piece of glass cut form home depot, or similar, and silicon it in place). Use one compartment to hold the skimmer, have the water flow into this compartment. The second chamber will be at a lower level and holds your return pump (if it is submersible) and could be used for an auto top off if you would like. The key is the water level in the chamber holding the skimmer needs to be constant. If the level varies then the skimmer will not be properly adjusted and not skim properly.

a.browning
08/05/2010, 06:12 AM
My stand is 10.5 inches wide inside, I can't fit a larger aquarium under there. 20 gal is 12" wide so that will not work.

mcoomer
08/05/2010, 09:04 AM
Do you know how much water is going to drain into the sump when power is off? If you don't then I'd go with the first option and get an ATO to do your freshwater top offs.

Mike