PDA

View Full Version : 2 MP10s or 1 MP40?

luv951
08/05/2010, 03:37 PM
So, for a 93 gal. cube; 30 x 30 x 24....would you rather have two MP10s or one MP40?

There is no sand in the tank, so sandstorms are not an issue

Why?

GhostCon1
08/05/2010, 03:45 PM
I saw a video of the mp40w ES on youtube from a member on here, his youtube videos are called "Ricketts Reef" I believe. He originally got two Koralias and an mp40w ES for his ~90 reef and ended up just using the one MP40w ES because he said it was that good. I plan on getting one when I save up some more money after getting my skimmer.

The MP40's give a wide, broad flow and should be more than enough for your tank, especially since it has the capabilities to control flow and power.

chimmike
08/05/2010, 04:29 PM
1 mp40w provides much more flow than two mp10's. I'd go with the mp40 every time!

luv951
08/05/2010, 05:15 PM
1 mp40w provides much more flow than two mp10's. I'd go with the mp40 every time!

Thanks for you input!

The EcoTech site lists the MP10 as 200-1575 GPH and the MP40 at 1000-3200, so two MP10s would be almost equal to on MP40.

I am not super familiar with the pumps, short of watching the videos.

Am I missing something? Is there another difference?

RcToners
08/05/2010, 05:50 PM
I just added flow to my tank yesterday. I did alot of research between a closed loop, mp40's and tunze 4106's. While the MP40 is nice due to not having a cord that was really the only plus I found with those over the tunze. With the MP40 you have zero directional control and I found that to be a major downfall. Not only does the tunze 4106 kick out 792 to 3434 GPH of flow (more then the MP40) it also allows you to change the direction of the flow, a mojor plus IMO. I purchased two tunze 4106's with the 7096 controller, My LFS only had one of the tunze on hand the other will be here in the morning. I have a 6ft 150 gal and with just the one tunze I could be just fine. I would go with a tunze but thats just me.

KSzegi
08/05/2010, 07:18 PM
MP 40!! I have an MP40 on one end of the tank (180 gallong) and two MP-10's on the other - went with the 10's because tank is too close to the wall to fit the 40. Even though you would think by their rating that the two MP-10's would have just as much flow ..... the MP-40 on the other end does seem to have them beat. When I get around to replacing the current stand and re-doing the tank, I will be investing in another MP-40 for sure and moving the 10's to the back in place of the koralia's .... or putting them in my 90.

luv951
08/05/2010, 07:37 PM
I feel like I might be asking a really stupid question, but here goes.

What the heck is a Tunze 4106? I could not find it on their site and a google search came up empty too. Hope its my day to be village idiot.:jester:

I just added flow to my tank yesterday. I did alot of research between a closed loop, mp40's and tunze 4106's. While the MP40 is nice due to not having a cord that was really the only plus I found with those over the tunze. With the MP40 you have zero directional control and I found that to be a major downfall. Not only does the tunze 4106 kick out 792 to 3434 GPH of flow (more then the MP40) it also allows you to change the direction of the flow, a mojor plus IMO. I purchased two tunze 4106's with the 7096 controller, My LFS only had one of the tunze on hand the other will be here in the morning. I have a 6ft 150 gal and with just the one tunze I could be just fine. I would go with a tunze but thats just me.

tqpolo
08/05/2010, 09:01 PM
I feel like I might be asking a really stupid question, but here goes.

What the heck is a Tunze 4106? I could not find it on their site and a google search came up empty too. Hope its my day to be village idiot.:jester:

These are what he's talking about. I'm not familiar with the Tunze model number.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem.aspx?Category=Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies___Powerheads_Adjustable_Flowrate_Pumps&SearchText=stream+2&vendorname=Tunze&vendorcode=TZ&IdCategory=FIPHAD&pageindex=0&parsed=1

tqpolo
08/05/2010, 09:07 PM
My tanks is a cube 24x24x20 and plan to have 2 MP10s on the back wall with the overflow in the middle. In my arrangement, one MP40 would not as efficient since I don't have a long tank. I feel one MP40 would leave dead spot on the other side of the overflow.

RcToners
08/05/2010, 09:12 PM
My apologies, it was my day to be the village idiot :) I meant tunze 6105, sorry about that.

luv951
08/05/2010, 09:24 PM
These are what he's talking about. I'm not familiar with the Tunze model number.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem.aspx?Category=Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies___Powerheads_Adjustable_Flowrate_Pumps&SearchText=stream+2&vendorname=Tunze&vendorcode=TZ&IdCategory=FIPHAD&pageindex=0&parsed=1

Thanks! I knew that they must be easier to find than they were!

My apologies, it was my day to be the village idiot :) I meant tunze 6105, sorry about that.

No worries...its an honor that goes round and round, kinda like a bouncing ball...it will be my day soon, I assure you.

luv951
08/05/2010, 09:26 PM
My tanks is a cube 24x24x20 and plan to have 2 MP10s on the back wall with the overflow in the middle. In my arrangement, one MP40 would not as efficient since I don't have a long tank. I feel one MP40 would leave dead spot on the other side of the overflow.

This is exactly what my thoughts were that led me to ask the question. Can one MP40 in a cube really be as good as two MP10s - one on each side of the back wall? Higher flow or not.

I imagine that whatever side of the tank does not have the MP40 will have a dead spot.

Akrite
08/06/2010, 09:31 AM
one MP40 will be plenty of flow. The MP40 has a downdraft that I have never seen a Tunze create, this will eliminate any dead spots. I have on MP40w on the left side of my 48x24x24 with lots of large corals and the right side of my tank has great movement and PE from my milli's. Nothing settles at the bottom.

RVANANO
08/06/2010, 09:45 AM
Ditto^

d0ughb0y
08/06/2010, 10:50 AM
This is exactly what my thoughts were that led me to ask the question. Can one MP40 in a cube really be as good as two MP10s - one on each side of the back wall? Higher flow or not.

I imagine that whatever side of the tank does not have the MP40 will have a dead spot.

I tried an MP40 in my cube and I'd say no. I have the center overflow like someone mentioned earlier, there will be dead spots. needless to say, you will be paying for the wireless feature that you will never use. I ended up going with closed loop, but two mp 10 would be a good option imho. once the novelty of playing with a new expensive toy wears off, you will just be using it pretty much in a single mode only.

the most definitive way to answer your question is to buy an mp40 and see for your self. that's what I did and ended up reselling it. you can try to borrow it from someone (because you probably cannot sell it for what you paid for ).

im4292
08/06/2010, 10:53 AM
2 MP40's wireless sync'd :)

Akrite
08/06/2010, 01:05 PM
I tried an MP40 in my cube and I'd say no. I have the center overflow like someone mentioned earlier, there will be dead spots. needless to say, you will be paying for the wireless feature that you will never use. I ended up going with closed loop, but two mp 10 would be a good option imho. once the novelty of playing with a new expensive toy wears off, you will just be using it pretty much in a single mode only.

the most definitive way to answer your question is to buy an mp40 and see for your self. that's what I did and ended up reselling it. you can try to borrow it from someone (because you probably cannot sell it for what you paid for ).

Can't argue with personal experience.

JeF4y
08/06/2010, 01:35 PM
1 MP40 all the way!

If you want to supplement it with another pump somewhere, fine, but I highly doubt you will need to. These things are AMAZING. I run my MP40 at about 45% power on reef-crest in my 60 cube and the water there is MOVING really well.

If anything I'd do 2 40's over 2 10's. I wouldn't buy a 10 for anything but a tiny tank like a 20L or something.

luv951
08/06/2010, 02:50 PM
OK, I guess that brings up a couple good points.

2 MP40s are out, for cost reasons. Of course it would be nice though.

I guess another option would be to have my return only go on the side opposite the MP40.

These are some good suggestions....of course, doughboy brings up the most compelling evidence against it, being that he personally tried it.

Hey doughboy - what size cube did you have?

cdeboard
08/06/2010, 03:04 PM
Not to steal the post here but akrite, did you say you have ONE mp40 on the end of a 4 foot tank? I have been debating this as well.. I have a 90g.

Reefphile
08/06/2010, 03:24 PM
I had a similar delimma couple months ago with my new tank (36x24x20). I have 2 mp10s from my old tank but I was advised that they may not work properly on 1/2" glass. So I used this as an excuse to get an mp40. Although the mp40 worked well on just a water test, once the rocks were in, I had a number of idle spots. Disappointed with the result, I tried my old mp10s and to my surprise they work marvelously. By placing them in different spots got rid of the idle areas and have a even distibution of flow. BTW, I believe they now have package deals for 2 mp10s.

Andy

luv951
08/06/2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you for this!

I had a similar delimma couple months ago with my new tank (36x24x20). I have 2 mp10s from my old tank but I was advised that they may not work properly on 1/2" glass. So I used this as an excuse to get an mp40. Although the mp40 worked well on just a water test, once the rocks were in, I had a number of idle spots. Disappointed with the result, I tried my old mp10s and to my surprise they work marvelously. By placing them in different spots got rid of the idle areas and have a even distibution of flow. BTW, I believe they now have package deals for 2 mp10s.

Andy

firereef
08/06/2010, 03:33 PM
Go with the mp40 just incase you decide to upgrade.

Mavrk
08/10/2010, 11:29 PM
What about 2 MP20s? Aren't the mp20's upgradeable to mp40? That way if you ever upgrade you will be ready. It think they may have been discontinued though. Maybe someone will pipe in on this one. If so, you might be able to find a used one.

davocean
08/10/2010, 11:40 PM
If you were on a budget maybe a 20 that could be upgraded later, or 40 now.
It is possible it won't hit EVERYTHING w/ just one, and part of decision should be based on what you plan to keep.
I threw in a tunze 6025 modded to hit the dead spots my vort didn't cover, and did so for cost and ability to aim.

uhuru
08/11/2010, 12:56 AM
The best thing for your tank would be 3 mp10w ES. One on each side, and one on the back. This is how they were designed to be run. There are some really good deals on mp10's out right now. I would just buy 3 regular mp10's, and 3 upgrade kits. Total cost will be about the same as 1 mp40 and 1 mp10, but you will have much better all around flow.

If you're on a budget get 2 mp10w ES now and add another one later.

CJO
08/11/2010, 07:28 AM
Why not ask EcoTech in their forums what they suggest?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=501

CJ

E.intheC
08/11/2010, 07:37 AM

I had a similar tank w/ 2x MP10's.. Even if I went with a full, SPS dominate tank, it was still TOO much flow (IMO) when they were all the way up.

Another thing to look at is you're able to turn down the MP10's to a much lower gph vs the MP40w, which can 'only' be turned down to 1000 gph.

The only time I'd suggest going with 2 MP20's or an MP40w and MP10 is if you were going for an SPS dominate tank.

You could always buy one MP40w and add more later, when your corals grow in.

luv951
08/11/2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and opinions. Based on all the things that I have heard, I am leaning more toward two MP10s. I like the idea of having them both on the back wall, but on opposite sides of the overflow. I think that between that and my return (500-600 GPH) I should have enough flow to keep most anything I want. I have never gotten into SPS too much, but was hoping to start, and like people have said, I could always add another one later.

I do think the MP 20s are discontinued.

Also, whats the advanage of wireless? If they are both on my back wall, does it matter? It seems to me that having it be wireless would be a hinderance more than a benefit. How does the drive unit get power? Batteries; or does the cotroller actually transmit power? I know that's possible, but would have thought it too expensive. I could not find the answer on the EcoTech site.

CJO
08/11/2010, 09:55 AM
Also, whats the advanage of wireless? If they are both on my back wall, does it matter? It seems to me that having it be wireless would be a hinderance more than a benefit. How does the drive unit get power? Batteries; or does the cotroller actually transmit power? I know that's possible, but would have thought it too expensive. I could not find the answer on the EcoTech site.

The wireless is used to communicate with each other. One is a master and the other(s) a slave. If you have wireless, they will work with each other in the different modes. This is especially important in the NTM (nutrient transport mode) and the other new modes. You can also change the modes on all of them by changing the mode on just the master. Also, if you happen to have a Neptune Apex Controller, you can buy a wireless addon that lets you communicate and control the power heads.

CJ

luv951
08/11/2010, 10:09 AM
Ohhhhh.....so obvious once I am told!

Thanks...I guess that makes wireless pretty much a necessity. I was puzzled why all the pics of the wireless models still had cords. Figured they just used the same pics.

Thanks!

d0ughb0y
08/11/2010, 10:13 AM
you can get mp10 brand new at socal tropical for $150. I see used ones listed in the for sale forum for $140.

CJO
08/11/2010, 10:53 AM
I just got an email that if you purchase an MP10wES new, you can upgrade your older MP10 to the wES at half price (with a rebate) through Ecotech's store.

CJ

Reefphile
08/11/2010, 11:00 AM
BTW, I was recently informed by a LFS, a Ecotech vendor, that mp20's have been discontinued.

E.intheC
08/11/2010, 12:10 PM
They have. I've heard the "regular" MP10 and MP40 are discontinued as well. They're only going to be selling the remaining stock of the above and then only sell the ES models.

theaquareef
08/11/2010, 01:42 PM
I vote 1 mp40, it will more than enough flow IMO

Mmckibben
08/11/2010, 01:50 PM
I've read in a good 5 books that it's better to have allot of small pumps, than one big one, so i go for the 2 mp10s.

luv951
08/11/2010, 02:07 PM
48 votes and we are dead even. I think Mmckibben has a good point. Logic would tell you two outputs for a given flow of water is better than one. Why do you think people split their return into two locklines?

davocean
08/11/2010, 02:26 PM
The only thing I don't like about the MP10 is that it's not upgradeable or able to sink w/ others.
That's why I like the 20 or 40 better.

luv951
08/11/2010, 02:30 PM
I have read that it can't sync as well.

If it can't sync with others, then whats the point of having that one in a wireless model?

Floowid
08/11/2010, 02:49 PM
I would rather have two smaller pumps than one big one. For one thing, that MP40, given the dimensions of your tank, is like using a shotgun to kill flies. You will end up dialing it way back and end up with one MP10 equivalent. I like that two small pumps can be pointed in two different directions, for twice the coverage area. I like that if you have 2 pumps and one fails you still have one pump.

Mavrk
08/11/2010, 02:50 PM
I have read that it can't sync as well.

If it can't sync with others, then whats the point of having that one in a wireless model?

I think that the newer ecosmart ones can be synced.

uhuru
08/11/2010, 03:03 PM
the mp10w ES can definitely be synced with any other wireless vortech whether its another mp10w ES or mp40w or mp40w ES.

davocean
08/11/2010, 03:23 PM
^^ Good to know, did not realize ES 10's were able to sinc.

davew0670
08/11/2010, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you could look at a tank with sync'ed vs. unsync'ed vortechs and not one person could tell the difference. I have two mp10's and hardly ever run them in the same mode. Pretty sure the ocean is not sync'ed either.

I went from one mp40 to two mp10's and I'm much happier.

d0ughb0y
08/11/2010, 04:18 PM
if random flow is what you want, then no sync will do the job.
with the sync option, can you turn both off from one driver?
but even that is minor since you can just plug both to a single outlet and just turn that outlet off.

davocean
08/11/2010, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you could look at a tank with sync'ed vs. unsync'ed vortechs and not one person could tell the difference. I have two mp10's and hardly ever run them in the same mode. Pretty sure the ocean is not sync'ed either.

I went from one mp40 to two mp10's and I'm much happier.

I have actually seen one persons tank where they had a pretty good wave action going, and that was very obvious, to the point I was actually feeling a little ill from staring at it!(and I surf!)
So, yeah, you can tell, but I didn't like it myself.
As for the ocean sinc, well, they are trying to replicate a reef w/ current going back and forth in same fashion.
But, FWIW, I have 2 mp20's in my 150g, and those are not in sinc, and I'm pretty happy w/it.

tqpolo
08/11/2010, 05:51 PM
I just got an email that if you purchase an MP10wES new, you can upgrade your older MP10 to the wES at half price (with a rebate) through Ecotech's store.

CJ

Link?

davew0670
08/11/2010, 08:48 PM
I have actually seen one persons tank where they had a pretty good wave action going, and that was very obvious, to the point I was actually feeling a little ill from staring at it!(and I surf!)
So, yeah, you can tell, but I didn't like it myself.
As for the ocean sinc, well, they are trying to replicate a reef w/ current going back and forth in same fashion.
But, FWIW, I have 2 mp20's in my 150g, and those are not in sinc, and I'm pretty happy w/it.

mine will make a wave with no sync also. Put them both on blue and you have a wave. Dont get me wrong, I would have upgraded had ecotech given the mp10 owners the same deal as mp40 owners but I'm convinced no one could tell a difference.

CJO
08/12/2010, 07:51 AM
with the sync option, can you turn both off from one driver?
but even that is minor since you can just plug both to a single outlet and just turn that outlet off.

You can turn them both to feed mode, but I don't think you can turn them both off. If you unplug them, then you lose the settings (feed time, night time, etc.) and have to reprogram them in.

Link?

It's an email from EcoTech. PM me your email and I'll forward it to you.

mine will make a wave with no sync also. Put them both on blue and you have a wave. Dont get me wrong, I would have upgraded had ecotech given the mp10 owners the same deal as mp40 owners but I'm convinced no one could tell a difference.

I think that you may be lucky with your tank dimensions. Most won't make a wave unless they are synced.

CJ

luv951
08/12/2010, 09:03 AM
It seems like, just for sync'ing alone, the two MP10s are the way to go. One MP40 might be enough, but I can get the same flow from two points in the tank and sincey they are sync'ed they would function as one unit.

luv951
08/12/2010, 09:04 AM
So, the argument is almost like "would you like one output or two on your MP40?"

d0ughb0y
08/12/2010, 09:15 AM
You can turn them both to feed mode, but I don't think you can turn them both off. If you unplug them, then you lose the settings (feed time, night time, etc.) and have to reprogram them in.

I think that you may be lucky with your tank dimensions. Most won't make a wave unless they are synced.

CJ

when I had the mp40, I'm pretty sure it remembers all the programming when I unplug the unit then plug it back in. (for the amount of money they charge for it, it better do) well at least I'm sure that say if I had it in reef crest mode, it will stay in reef crest mode at the same settings when I plug it back in. so this is not the case for mp 10?

I imagine one would really need the sync in order to do the wave motion. but that I see as a novelty only. its useful for showing off to friends when they come to your house. :) other than that, I think random on both would be more than sufficient for the tank.

fcmatt
08/12/2010, 09:18 AM
I voted two MP10s but I would prefer a different brand of pump altogether.
This whole not wanting cords in the tank is not a big deal to me.
When I owned a 40 back in the day it was louder then i was used to for
a pump, a pain to maintain as it had problems that needed to be fixed right
out of the box, a part had to be replaced, and finally the wet side needed
repair. I just sold it on the bay saying it needed work.

Give me a regular old fashioned smaller pump with magnet clips and allow it to be
adjusted to an angle I desire. Now multiply it by 3 or 4 and you have a nice setup
where everything gets some good flow and no over powering area with dead spots
in odd places. Just run the cables neatly and get them to go down via the back which
over time the glass will not be see through anyway.

Cheaper, more reliable, more redundancy, better overall flow, you can add a timer
if you wish, etc...

CJO
08/12/2010, 09:45 AM
when I had the mp40, I'm pretty sure it remembers all the programming when I unplug the unit then plug it back in. (for the amount of money they charge for it, it better do) well at least I'm sure that say if I had it in reef crest mode, it will stay in reef crest mode at the same settings when I plug it back in. so this is not the case for mp 10?

Both the MP10 and MP40 operate the same. They will remember the mode they were in when they were unplugged, but losing the power will clear some of the setting. I know that you have to redo the auto-disconnect setting and the time for the night mode. Not sure what, if anything, else is lost. I wish they had put in a capacitor so that you wouldn't have to redo these.

I imagine one would really need the sync in order to do the wave motion. but that I see as a novelty only. its useful for showing off to friends when they come to your house. :) other than that, I think random on both would be more than sufficient for the tank.

Using the sync with the new modes does a much better job of getting varied flow to all areas of the tank.

I voted two MP10s but I would prefer a different brand of pump altogether.
This whole not wanting cords in the tank is not a big deal to me.
When I owned a 40 back in the day it was louder then i was used to for
a pump, a pain to maintain as it had problems that needed to be fixed right
out of the box, a part had to be replaced, and finally the wet side needed
repair. I just sold it on the bay saying it needed work.

Give me a regular old fashioned smaller pump with magnet clips and allow it to be
adjusted to an angle I desire. Now multiply it by 3 or 4 and you have a nice setup
where everything gets some good flow and no over powering area with dead spots
in odd places. Just run the cables neatly and get them to go down via the back which
over time the glass will not be see through anyway.

Cheaper, more reliable, more redundancy, better overall flow, you can add a timer
if you wish, etc...

Sounds like you had a bad experience with yours. I don't think that this is the norm. Did you try calling their customer service? You should have had all of that done for free.

Keeping the motor out of the aquarium is more than just for looks, it also keeps most of the heat out of it too. Also, you no longer have the possibility of voltage leaks into the aquarium from the power heads (I've heard of this happening with many of the cheaper pumps).

I've gone from Maxijets to Koralias to the Vortechs and have seen improvements in the tank flow each time. The one thing that the Vortechs give you over the others is a much wider, less concentrated flow. The others are cheaper if you aren't interested in a wave maker, but I'd disagree that they are more reliable or give you better overall flow.

CJ

fcmatt
08/12/2010, 10:50 AM
Sounds like you had a bad experience with yours. I don't think that this is the norm. Did you try calling their customer service? You should have had all of that done for free.

Keeping the motor out of the aquarium is more than just for looks, it also keeps most of the heat out of it too. Also, you no longer have the possibility of voltage leaks into the aquarium from the power heads (I've heard of this happening with many of the cheaper pumps).

I've gone from Maxijets to Koralias to the Vortechs and have seen improvements in the tank flow each time. The one thing that the Vortechs give you over the others is a much wider, less concentrated flow. The others are cheaper if you aren't interested in a wave maker, but I'd disagree that they are more reliable or give you better overall flow.

CJ

This is when they first came out. In the first year easy.
The control box was DOA. They fixed it for free.
The shaft that was between the impeller and the base of the wet unit
was also replaced during that time. It was the thicker piece going over
the shaft.. i am not sure what it is called. Free once again.

But after running it for a year the wet side.. the metal part that matches
up to the magnet has some type of coating that was wearing through causing
a problem. It would get stuck as well as appear to rust. That would not be
fixed for free. At that point I gave up on it. Being a sorta of beta user got old
after a while.

Plus the noise I was not used to. Not loud. Just more then I was used to.

As for heat.. since I dumped MH and went with T5 I no longer see my tank
above 80 degrees F. It stays where I want it with no need for fans or a chiller.
Plus you can get power heads now days that use very little power
and put out a lot of flow. (1650GPH/ 8W Power Consumption for example on
a Hydor Koralia which I am using for an example in my post). You used them
yourself.

I am not trying to bash these pumps. Enough people LOVE them to make me
realize they work for them and work well. But there is enough posts about
some issues that make me think other options can be more reliable. I will
agree that the flow is wider though and with their nifty options on the controller
they are very versatile. But i also tend to side on the debate of more smaller
pumps then one big one.

d0ughb0y
08/12/2010, 12:31 PM
It's an email from EcoTech. PM me your email and I'll forward it to you.

CJ

its not a big secret or some exclusive members only offer :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1889429

here is the rebate form

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/EcoSmart_upgrade_rebate.pdf

CJO
08/12/2010, 01:02 PM

here is the rebate form

I only had it as an email. Thanks for the links.

CJ

tqpolo
08/12/2010, 02:24 PM

here is the rebate form

It says I need to buy from an authorized dealer. I'm assuming if I buy new from an ebay store I would not qualify for the rebate?

Mavrk
08/12/2010, 04:41 PM
It says I need to buy from an authorized dealer. I'm assuming if I buy new from an ebay store I would not qualify for the rebate?

I haven't seen it cheaper at an e-bay store than the one at Big Al's. Except for the people that are selling the upgraded MP20s. Of course those wouldn't qualify.

I just bought a MP40w ES from Big Al's. Too bad I don't have an old one to upgrade for only fifty bucks. I can't find an old one at a decent price either. It would be nice to have 2 for my 90 gal.

It almost seems worth buying the upgrade with the rebate and selling it at a discount to someone who could use it.

C.Ton9187
08/13/2010, 01:32 AM
FWIW I have 2 mp10's on my 20l. One is set at 40% and the other at 50% one each side of the tank, both are on reef crest mode majority of the time. I had 1 mp10 set at 100% and after hitting the rocks and corals, witch was mostly in the middle, the flow slowed down to were it seems to be, not dead but very slowly moving.

I love these things, awesome pumps.

jdareef
08/13/2010, 09:05 AM
MP40s have much better flow then the MP10s but I've always liked more than 1 pump for circulation so I'd say go with the 2 MP10s.
Joseph

Mmckibben
08/13/2010, 10:33 AM
I can't get any wave action in my aquarium since i have a corner aquarium. The odd shape fits well into my room, but it makes water flow a pain. I have never been able to get any change in water flow direction since i have just 1 mp10, but a few aquarium stores have told me that it's not ideal, but as long as there's a change in speed I should be okay.

gojius
08/13/2010, 01:28 PM
I use 2 mp10s on my cube, its only 30 gallons. I would use the 2 mp10s, a little more random flow along with no dead spots. You could always and a third, this is what Im doing when I up grade to my 75 gallon next weekend. I really love the pumps, I think I will save the extra 60 dollars and go with out the wireless model.

Mmckibben
08/14/2010, 01:58 AM
I wish I could afford a 75 gallon. I'm stuck with a 36 till collage starts, then adios aquariums.