PDA

View Full Version : Growing coralline

ItsET
08/05/2010, 05:28 PM
Could someone list all the proper levels needed to grow great coralline algae on my live rock ?? I've got some growing, mostly purple, but it's very very slow. Thanks in advance for any help.

thegrun
08/05/2010, 06:12 PM
Light and water chemistry. 380-450 Ca, 1250-1350 Mg,7.8-11.0 Alk Dkh, 7.9-8.3 Ph, 1.025-1.026 specific Gravity, 77-83 F temp. Lighting does not need to be that intense for coralline, it actually grows better in my refugium than under my MH lighting. It helps to introduce a rock covered in coralline to the tank.

rbredding
08/05/2010, 06:18 PM
dont chase levels... coralline takes time.. but once it gets going.. it stays going (a supplement like purple up will help - along with weekly to 10 day 10% water changes)

coralline algae uses calcium and iodine from the water, and takes good lighting (actinic supplements always help - 420nm, I believe, worked well for me)

Sisterlimonpot
08/05/2010, 06:36 PM
^^ +1 except for the 'purple up' it's an expensive 2 part. save your money and buy a 2 part (alk and calc).

oh and you'll regret asking this question, because once coralline starts it doesn't stop, and you'll (if you're like me) be scraping it off the glass every week. You'll curse the day you asked this question.

Although coralline is a good sign that you're doing something right, it should be the result of hard work, so don't go chasing coralline, let it be the result of keeping your parameters spot on for the purpose of adding LPS or SPS.

Sisterlimonpot
08/05/2010, 06:37 PM
^^ +1 except for the 'purple up' it's an expensive 2 part. save your money and buy a 2 part (alk and calc).

oh and you'll regret asking this question, because once coralline starts it doesn't stop, and you'll (if you're like me) be scraping it off the glass every week. You'll curse the day you asked this question.

Although coralline is a good sign that you're doing something right, it should be the result of hard work, so don't go chasing coralline, let it be the result of keeping your parameters spot on for the purpose of adding LPS or SPS.