PDA

View Full Version : Tank cycle questions!

Alysiak00
08/05/2010, 05:48 PM
Can't remember exactly but what all is needed for the cycle. Do I need to put the light on yet? Also do I need a heater yet? I'm putting the filter in tonight.

thegrun
08/05/2010, 06:05 PM
You should run the heater. The lights are not necessary unless there are corals on the live rock you are trying to keep alive.

Tuscaquatics
08/05/2010, 07:14 PM
In my opinion, you should set up everything the way you want it before cycling: heaters, filtration, powerheads, lights, etc. Even your skimmer, though some will argue that it will hinder the cycling process. This is debatable, I suppose.

But as for the lights, I would run them and let algae and diatoms start growing as soon as possible. I feel that it's important to let the algae sort itself out and establish a sort of hierarchy while doing a cycle of its own. I've found that doing this properly with good live rock will prevent silly algae problems down the road.

Alysiak00
08/05/2010, 07:35 PM
sweet thank you for the info. the reason i ask about the heater and light is because...
1) i dont have a bigger heater yet. (i'm upgrading from a 20-45g)
2) i didn't know if i needed light or not...im running out of plugs lol

Tuscaquatics
08/05/2010, 07:37 PM
sweet thank you for the info. the reason i ask about the heater and light is because...

Get all this stuff settled early. It won't get any easier to make adjustments once it's cycling.

Alysiak00
08/05/2010, 07:54 PM
I know. i get paid tomorrow to out to the fish store i go lol

thegrun
08/05/2010, 09:20 PM

Get a second heater the size of your current one and use them both. That way if one fails to turn on or worse sticks in the on position, you will likely avoid a complete tank melt down. All heaters will eventually fail, using two heaters at half the required wattage is cheap insurance.