PDA

View Full Version : Good deal?

TheHotOne
08/05/2010, 07:25 PM
https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+21183&pcatid=21183

Would this be considered a good deal? I know aquarium stuff can be bought at extremely low costs once its used, but was wondering if this nano cube is a good deal?

Also what kind of Anemone would I be able to house in this tank? I would like to have either an LTA or a BTA of some sort.

mike1420
08/05/2010, 07:50 PM
That seems like a pretty good deal to me! I bought my 28 JBJ HQI used for that much and I thought that was a great deal, so getting a new one with PCs for that much seems just as good! As for an anemone, I have a GBTA in mine with MHs but you may be able to house one under the PCs. Someone else will probably chime in on that...

Mavrk
08/05/2010, 11:08 PM
The free stand makes it look like a good deal to me. I would be worried about the PC lighting. You might be able to get away with a BTA, but I will leave that to others for their recommendation.

If you plan on SPS or other light intensive corals, then you might want more light. I know BioCube makes an HQI version that comes with metal halides. But I wonder how much those would heat up such a small tank.

I bet you could get a good lighting system to add on to the one you are looking at for less than the BioCube if you want that stand.

Toddrtrex
08/05/2010, 11:15 PM
IMO, an LTA (( M. doreensis )) would not work in that tank, for both the lights and it would out grow it.

An BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) would be pushing it. The lights might work if you didn't use any actinic bulbs. I have a feeling that it would outgrow it too -- the last one that I had was 15" across when I sold it (( and it split regularly )). Then, of course, there are the inherit water quality issues that come with a small tank.

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 07:14 AM
Thank you all for the input. I figure research is key before I just dive into it head first.

im4292
08/06/2010, 07:19 AM
Based on the free stand, I approve of this "deal"!

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 07:25 AM
I do like the fact that it does come with the stand. My main concern is the lights. I want to have an optimal environment for what I plan to keep.

2Addicted
08/06/2010, 10:31 AM
I do like the fact that it does come with the stand. My main concern is the lights. I want to have an optimal environment for what I plan to keep.

I think I saw in another one of your posts that you want a clown and nem only tank right? What kind of anemone are you planning to keep?

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 12:09 PM
Most likely will be a BTA of some sort.

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 07:25 PM
How would mushrooms, poly's, zoa's, etc do in that kind of tank?

Toddrtrex
08/06/2010, 08:11 PM
I think they would do pretty well.

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 08:32 PM
Todd what are the chances of clowns hosting a frogspawn? Or similar corals to that? I would like to get a bit of practice with them first, and then get an anemone.

Toddrtrex
08/06/2010, 08:44 PM
I personally have never done that (( never even kept a frogspawn )), but I have read about it happening numerous times. And think that might be a better route.

TheHotOne
08/06/2010, 08:50 PM
I believe you are right. I need to get familiarized with the tank, and first be able to keep frogspawn's and such alive. Only then will I venture into getting a BTA. When the time does come will the BTA move to a good spot in the tank, or will I have to position the anemone close to the top?

Volturi21
08/07/2010, 12:57 PM
I had a tomato host my hammer coral (similar to the frogspawn).

davocean
08/07/2010, 01:56 PM
Going w/ a frogspawn is a great way to start out, especially that size tank.
I agree, most nems will outgrow that tank.
I'm not big fan of all in one systems myself, but they work.
I would keep it simple, frog and mushrooms and such.
I've used FS as hosts several times, it's nice that they don't wander, and after tank is well established, easy to pull and replace w/ a nem, providing it stays in same spot.

TheHotOne
08/07/2010, 04:20 PM
I will be starting out with the frogspawn now. But when I feel its time that I can take on a BTA should I then remove the frogspawn?

TheHotOne
08/08/2010, 08:41 PM
What would be the best lighting combination for this tank? IE: Two 36 watt actinics or one daylight and one actinic?