PDA

View Full Version : high Ph

droberts
08/06/2010, 11:02 AM
my Ph has been high for a few days now 8.6 and i was wondering if theres any easy way of lowering it? i was told to try seltzer water and that really didn't do much. i used about half of a bottle but maybe i didn't use enough. thanks Dan

im4292
08/06/2010, 11:05 AM
Hope this helps, from one of the best sources around here:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

ta_billy
08/06/2010, 11:19 AM
Sounds very high. My want to borrow a buddy's pH kit or take a sample to the local fish store for a second opinion...why chase a problem that does nto exist.

If it really is that high, then you new to understand the root cause. Overdosing buffer? hyperactive calcium reactor? Low pH is the more common problem and levels of 8.6 can be difficult to obtain.

Do you dose with a two-part supplement or add a buffer? If so, then maybe your dose is too high. Understand that the recommendations are based on actual volume of water and not the size of the tank...rocks, sand, etc. take up max aquaium volume and you should dose to the net volume.

Maybe you top-off the tank with hard well water?

BB

patsfan1130
08/06/2010, 11:20 AM
Before you do anything I would verify it is actually that high. 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be a testing error. How are you testing? For the record, without knowing the specifics, I do not believe it is correct unless you are adding supplements to drive it up

ta_billy
08/06/2010, 11:33 AM
agreed. I have never obtained a reading of 8.6 and I was trying like heck to get it to 8.3 back in the day when I was a hardocre reefer. My money is on a bad test kit...or dare I say operator error.

Get a second opinion and figure out where you might have executed a step incorrectly. If you are using a pH probe, then your device might be out of calibration or the probe has gone bad which they do when the get old, dried out, etc.

ta_billy
08/06/2010, 11:59 AM
Oh wait, I'm assuming you are NOT dosing with Kalkwasser (Calcium Hydroxide). If you are, then obviously back-off your drip rate and be careful...a saturated solution of Calcium Hydroxide can have a pH near 14 and that is dangerous. Even more dangerous is the airborne Calcium Hydroxide powder. Again, everybody be careful with this stuff.

Works well though:)

droberts
08/06/2010, 01:52 PM
i am using a bulk reef 2 part kit and the test kit is kinda old so i will take a water sample to the lfs. but i do have a good test kit for my pool wounder if it would work for my tank water