PDA

View Full Version : Creature detached from its stalk and is swimming! Help needed fast!

xboxdisc
08/06/2010, 11:25 AM
Okay, I was taking a picture of this creature when all of a sudden it detached from its stalk and started "swim" around the water by flapping its mane. From the beginning:

I began taking pictures of this creature. It's white and clear. You can see its circular mane (for lack of a better term) is attached to a long stalk on my rock. It likes to flap its mane.

I couldn't get good focus and light, so I kept adjusting these parameters until my camera was satisfied. The pictures attached are the two best that I got after taking numerous pictures. Unfortunately, it really stressed out the creature and a few seconds later it began to go crazy by flapping its mane nonstop. Soon, its stalk pulled back into the rock while the mane was still going crazy and eventually the mane detached from the stalk.

It began to "swim" upwards and downwards by flapping its mane. I don't have any flow in the tank, so it's been swimming in a corner a the top of the tank to somewhere near the middle (on the side of the tank glass). I tried capturing pictures, but it's moving too fast for my camera and it's really small. The pictures of it swimming came out blurry, so I can only describe it.

What is this creature? I truly regret having stressed out this creature to the point where it felt it had to leave. Will it settle down soon? I don't want it to exhaust itself and then die. Will it regrow its stalk? So many questions!

Sorry, it's kind of hard to see the creature. Don't look at the aipastia. If you look at the center of the image, you can make out what I'm trying to show you.

xboxdisc
08/06/2010, 11:30 AM
Here is another picture. Hopefully, you guys can get a better picture from it. You can see it's mane in a circular fashion.

kcooley
08/06/2010, 11:38 AM
those are jellyfish. little tiny hitch hiking jelly fish.

xboxdisc
08/06/2010, 11:43 AM
Wow, really? Do you by any chance know the latin name for them?

haha, I've been reading about jellyfish aquariums these past few days. What a coincidence. However, at the moment I can't really build a kreisel for it.. Would they do okay in its current environment? I know most jellyfish don't (with the exception of the upsidedown jellyfish)... But maybe a slight chance since it's so small?

Current tank conditions (it's a small qt tank) is just phytoplankton and no flow of any kind. I can throw in an air pump maybe. Would a kreisel be imperative to build at this point?

Thanks for responding so quickly!

xboxdisc
08/06/2010, 11:57 AM
Okay, after the clue about it being a jellyfish, I found what looks to be what I have:

http://weirdthingsinmytank.blogspot.com/2007/05/until-i-get-confirmation-im-going-to.html

Really cool. I never knew jellyfish were hitchhikers. Thanks a lot!