PDA

View Full Version : All good hobbyists are now encouraged to eat lionfish.

HighlandReefer
08/06/2010, 04:41 PM
The next time you visit your favorite restaurant make sure you order some. :D

NOAA Divers Capture Invasive Lionfish in the Virgin Islands National Park
ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2010)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100806132220.htm

From it:

— Divers identified and killed a 15 cm long lionfish in Fish Bay along the southern coast of St. John, making this the fourth such capture and kill of the invasive fish in the Virgin Islands National Park.

The lionfish was first spotted July 15, 2010 and captured the following day within 10 meters of the original sighting. A team of divers and scientists from NOAA's National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science and the National Park Service were in the area collecting data aimed at evaluating the health of corals, fish and invertebrates in a ten-year long project funded by NOAA's Coral Reef Conservation Program. This is the first time during the annual surveys the research team has sighted a lionfish. Governments across the Caribbean are concerned by the potential environmental impact of this species, which is multiplying rapidly across the region and consuming native fish at unsustainable rates in some locations.

"Lionfish pose a huge threat to the coral reef ecosystems of the U.S. Virgin Islands. The native fish populations are essentially defenseless in the face of this threat. And once established, lionfish are very difficult to control," noted Rafe Boulon, Chief of Resource Management for the Virgin Islands National Park and the Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument.

Native to the Indo-Pacific, Lionfish were first spotted in the US Virgin Islands off the coast of St. Croix in 2008. NOAA scientists with the National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science were the first to identify their first appearance in North Carolina and have been leading research and monitoring efforts since then. They have been in close collaboration with the Reef Environmental Education Foundation, scientists from Simon Fraser University, and the US Geological Survey to undertake critical research on lionfish biology, ecology, and environmental impacts.

In addition, NOAA is studying lionfish control strategies and has launched an "Eat Lionfish" campaign, which works with chefs, fishermen, and wholesalers to promote the development of a market for these fish. NOAA scientists have determined that a major fishing effort is required to reduce their numbers and mitigate their impact on reef ecosystems.

bluereefs
08/07/2010, 06:46 AM
What eat them/control in their natural habitat?
I dont think that fishing/spearing will put invasive species under the control or eradicate. Why are they so sucesfull here and not in their domestic habitat?

HighlandReefer
08/07/2010, 06:50 AM
Good question. :)

There are not many animals that will eat the lionfish, not even sharks. :D

Perhaps it has something to do with natural disease organisms, like virus and bacteria.

bluereefs
08/07/2010, 09:21 AM
And good answer, I thought about everything (sharks, muraenas, octopus, ... ) but not about natural disease.
There is one thing what bugs me the most, usually in natural habitat most planktonic larvae and small fishes are eaten and usually less then few procent of larvae survive and grow to reproducing adults, that is not to much dependable about species, even lionfish are venomus as a adult I doubt they are to much venomous as a larvae or tinny juvenile, everything bigger will eat them, jet still it look like they spread like a wild fire. There is a picture what show shoal of lionfishes in Caribi. How is posiblle that they can have so much sucesfull surviving from larvae to adults in those waters. It look to me that something missing in those water, probably due to overfishing, water quality problem and everything related with our progress those water actually dont have healthy eco system who will keep invasive species under the control.

Just a though.

Steve-H
08/07/2010, 09:44 AM
I was just in St. John two weeks ago. There are posters all over the place telling people to report sightings of the fish.
There has been lots of things disappearing from the waters there in the last couple of years...A big one (besides the Elkhorn and Staghorn Corals) has been the hydroid fire coral. At first most people would be happy about it; until they realize that with its disappearance; so has the fish disappeared that fed upon it (can't remember for the life of me right now...).
I also spent some time in PR, down in the La Parguera reserve area. There, they offer a $7/fish reward to those who return with the lion fish...It seems a much larger problem there as one diver returned with 5 of them on his spear.