PDA

View Full Version : Crushed coral or aragonite? Pros and cons?

cirionrc
08/06/2010, 06:29 PM
Have tank filled with crushed coral. Large pebbles. The lfs said that this is the best because it gives off calcium and keeps ph in check and easy to clean. Now am hearing aragonite or live sand is best. What is pros cons of each?

Sisterlimonpot
08/06/2010, 06:51 PM
Can’t think of any pros for CC. I had one of those petsmart/petco workers tell me that sand was a bad idea and CC was the only route to go for salt water (it wasn't worth the effort to state my opinion), sorry you got the same story.

CC is believed to trap detritus and raise your N03 and P04 to where sand won’t do that as long as you have pods, mini stars and so on living in there slowly turning the sand.

And of course aragonite will offer the same buffering capabilities as CC. So hands down sand is the way to go.

Sisterlimonpot
08/06/2010, 06:53 PM
double post

mike536
08/06/2010, 06:59 PM
I think a downfall for the sand is depending on the courseness of it is powerheads blowing it all over the tank. I had that problem with sand. Hope this helps a little.

vegasr
08/06/2010, 07:34 PM
I had CC in a 75gal reef. It lasted about two months before I got rid of it. I like the reefsand.

Peale
08/06/2010, 07:37 PM
I started my tank with CC, just because I didn't know better. I have finally changed it over to sand. One thing I REALLY hated with the CC was that coralline would grow on it and it looked awful. It trapped all kinds of crap and was too heavy for my snails and hermits to keep turned and clean.

Sand is SO much better.

ta_billy
08/06/2010, 07:50 PM
I have tried them all. Crush coral has problems...already mentioned. Sand can be a problem if it is too fine.

My solution, a mix of 75% aragonite 25% heavy grit sand, throw in a hand fullor two of crushed coral if you have some. Gives a natural look and can easily be sifted by tank critters, especially sleeper gobies.

If you want a uniform look, then go with aragonite, 2-3 mm grit. Sleeper gobies love this size and it tends not to "float" around the tank and settle on rock work and coral...unless of course you get a golden head sleeper or one that likes to raise up as it sifts.

My two cents...