PDA

View Full Version : Lighting ?

jk75
08/06/2010, 08:12 PM
I have a 120 gallon FOWLR with 4 x 96 pc's. I am looking to get LED's but unsure of the par value I would need. I would like more light than I have now. Any advice would be great thanks.

Haag13
08/06/2010, 08:25 PM
Little more info would help. Do you plan on keeping it FOWLR or moving towards reef? If just FOWLR you can throw PAR out the window. The best thing you can do is visit some local shops that usually display some of their light options set-up so you can see how much light they give off. The next best would be to look at pictures online. Take the time to decide what you really need because LED's range from pretty cheap to blowing the kids' college fund.

jk75
08/06/2010, 08:49 PM
I am keeping it FOWLR. I have I guy that can get LED's, but I am unsure how many I need to get more light than what I have now.

billdogg
08/07/2010, 05:45 AM
As mentioned above - as a FOWLR, you could use a shoplight and a couple of wallyworld t12's and the fish would be happy. I'm not sure the expense of LED's would be worth it in that case.

JM.02

grigsy
08/09/2010, 09:12 PM
+1

Stick with your 4 x 96 watt PC bulbs. For a FOWLR tank, that should will be plenty of light and wont cost you the mega $$$ that an LED system will cost you.

The difference will be minimal.