PDA

View Full Version : MTV's Real World -Guy fry's Tang

tank41
08/07/2010, 05:55 AM
Hey guys. I was doing a little channel surfing the other night and was watching MTV’s real world New Orleans. They were showing a clip from a upcoming episode and one of the kids has a long grilling tong and reaches in their tank and grabs a large Tang. How he successfully did that is beyound me. It then shows him frying it in a skillet. Im like did I really just see that. Man I pitty the guy if there are any Reefers in New Orleans that see him in the bar 

Alysiak00
08/07/2010, 05:59 AM
omg say it ain't so!

kingfisher62
08/07/2010, 06:16 AM
I am guessing if he caught a tang with a pair of tongs it was probably not doing well. Still that is pretty sad. I would like to do the same thing to him! Hope PETA reacts to this!

On a side note. I read that Kole tangs were eaten by royalty in Hawaii and common people were put to death if caught eating them.

jasonrp104
08/07/2010, 06:18 AM
The nerve of that guy...catching a fish and eating it!

Stanley-Reefer
08/07/2010, 06:19 AM
my wife loves that crap, but I caught it passing through the living room too:hammer:

I thought the same thing about catching it with tongs in a good sized tank.

CleveYank
08/07/2010, 06:19 AM
You need to call the PETA folks. They'll get all over MTV about it.

kingfisher62
08/07/2010, 06:50 AM

When you say it like that , it does not sound so bad, LOL
I just ate some filet of sole that i caught a couple of days ago but it was not someone's pet.
I seriously doubt the guy ate it, it was all for show!

stanlalee
08/07/2010, 08:07 AM
If he actually ate it so what. Really so what if he didn't. there are tons of over exploitaton, abuse and insensitivity when it comes to fish wether commercial (which makes up more than 99% of the trade), sport or ornamental. One tang skillet fried on MTV hardly warrants a bleeding heart in the scheme of things. If PETA aint doing anything about the zillion dried up silver dollar sea urchins sold at every beach gift shop (one of thousands of so called atrocities) why should they spring into action about one tang pan fried?

Chris27
08/07/2010, 08:24 AM
On the islands, reef fish are a common meal. Would it surprise you to know that hippo tangs aren't good eating, so they are used for bait at times for larger fish.....it's just a fish.....if that clown on MTV want's to spend $50 on a tang and eat it then so what....again....it's just a fish.

KeMo
08/07/2010, 08:34 AM
On the islands, reef fish are a common meal. Would it surprise you to know that hippo tangs aren't good eating, so they are used for bait at times for larger fish.....it's just a fish.....if that clown on MTV want's to spend $50 on a tang and eat it then so what....again....it's just a fish.

Jacuzzi
08/07/2010, 11:15 AM
In the last cast one guy gets drunk then hopes in the cichlid tanks for a swim cause its like a 300 gallon tank. When the preview for the frying of the tang came on my gf covered my eyes. It hurts but doesnt surprise me, one day he will be in a body of water and the fish will get their revenge trust me.

Sisterlimonpot
08/07/2010, 11:34 AM
let's not over look the fact that, "They're fish"

ritter6788
08/07/2010, 11:45 AM
I think all the members of the Tang Police just had a collective heart attack!

davocean
08/07/2010, 12:29 PM
Pretty common to spear/eat tangs in Hawaii, my friends from there always drool over my tank, and not for the right reasons.
But lame that from what I heard the guy just threw it into a pan live, and I don't think even ate it, so slow painful death for kicks.
Just another reason to not watch those jacka$$ reality shows.

afernandez
08/07/2010, 12:36 PM
I think all the members of the Tang Police just had a collective heart attack!

Lmfao!!!

James404
08/07/2010, 12:39 PM
Reminds of me of survivor all stars when rupert was spearing triggers and tangs every day for food, thats different though I think but was still kind of sad to see it.

afernandez
08/07/2010, 12:46 PM
Speaking if survivor ..did u see what they ate ? Giant clams! Noe I was a lilttle upset that they where eating that and mad that they cood not ship me any alive lol.

cloak
08/07/2010, 02:34 PM
I don't really like that show, but it's a train wreck, you gotta watch sometimes. I could have swore I saw Mardi Gra beads in that tank. What?

PIMPALA
08/07/2010, 03:59 PM

ok, you got me. i LOL'd then had to explain to my wife what was so funny.

:lolspin:

Guitarmasta37
08/07/2010, 04:33 PM
hahaha i'm gonna go ahead and agree with all the people that said "it's just a fish"
this is the truth. while yes, we should definitely respect them, and take care of them because they're amazing animals, eating a tang is no different than eating a bass, pike, perch, blue gill, etc... We're higher in the food chain.
It'd be different if he just cut it into a million pieces for no reason, but a meal is a meal, whether it's super colorful or not :) That's not to say that I would eat a tang straight out of a tank, of course...

Jeff000
08/07/2010, 05:35 PM
I am sure peta would care more about the fish being in an aquarium at all, but at the same time they are not really concerned with little things like that.

Yup, I have had trigger and several other fish I see in aquariums all the time, most are pretty good. A lot of tropical ocean fish are nice to eat, more like a really soft pork texture rather then the flaky cold water fish most of us are more common with eating.
Mahi-mahi is one of my favorites, although I am not sure its a reef fish, it is a pretty color.

SaltReefer
08/07/2010, 05:44 PM
Pretty common to spear/eat tangs in Hawaii, my friends from there always drool over my tank, and not for the right reasons.
But lame that from what I heard the guy just threw it into a pan live, and I don't think even ate it, so slow painful death for kicks.

:(

I have nothing more to say

tkeracer619
08/07/2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think someone who maintains a tank would do that.

More then likely it was another persons pet that was being used for a tv show.

Chris27
08/08/2010, 06:54 AM

Bingo - if nobody was watching - he wouldn't have done it.

Reality TV rots brains.....it's proven....think I saw it on myth-busters.....wait is that a reality show? :)

I'll start watching Real World when they actually move into the real world.....put those idiots to work in the mines for 10 hours a day....or landscaping for 12.....then make them pay for their own food, housing and healthcare.....now that's the real world. We Americans need drama, so lets throw a couple of 2 year old boys with hammers in the house right after they get home from work....

SkyPapa
08/08/2010, 08:48 AM
I am sure peta would care more about the fish being in an aquarium at all, but at the same time they are not really concerned with little things like that.

Yup, I have had trigger and several other fish I see in aquariums all the time, most are pretty good. A lot of tropical ocean fish are nice to eat, more like a really soft pork texture rather then the flaky cold water fish most of us are more common with eating.
Mahi-mahi is one of my favorites, although I am not sure its a reef fish, it is a pretty color.

Mahi-Mahi, AKA dolphin locally are a pelagic fish and really stunning in colors when you pull them from the water.

About the only fish common to the aquarium trade I would consider eating would be any of the groupers.
Fried up with tarter on a bun, yum.
I've never seen one in a home aquarium big enough to be worth cleaning though.

Drewbaby
08/08/2010, 09:17 AM
I could understand people eating tangs in Hawaii and other islands where it's been a cultural part of their diet for hundreds of years, but in america where our staple foods consist of burgers, pizza, and steak a tang just doesn't fit. Besides that the guy cooking the tang is nowhere close to hawaiian. He's just some drunk moron that in my opinion deserves to be shot with a spear gun. I have more compasion for animals than I do people. So I guess it's just me.

The tang was in an aquarium as a pet at a house, not one of those lobster holding tanks at a seafood joint. There's a difference.

mcoomer
08/08/2010, 01:57 PM
I've got no problem catching and eating fish. One of the most delicious things I've ever eaten is salmon on a wheat cracker with cream cheese. I flyfish too, and a fresh caught rainbow rolled in cornflower with salt and pepper then fried is beyond heaven. That being said, don't eat pets. Eating a fish from the tank would be like going home and eating the family pooch because you wanted hot dog. If you want to eat a fish go to the store, or better yet grab your gear and go catch your own.

Mike

SunnyK8
08/26/2010, 01:24 PM
Ugh, this episode was on last night. He didn't kill it, it had already died, but it was still really, really disgusting. I ended up looking away for a lot of it. And yes, they did season it, fry it, and eat it. I gagged.

IAReefer
08/26/2010, 01:52 PM
You guys are right that this is just a fish. But think about it, would you catch your dog or cat and eat it? This was someones pet. I love eating fish, but I never looked at any of my tanks and said, now that looks good! Now that Ive seen the video and saw that they fish was dead I was even more discusted. This retard ate a fish that died from who knows what and didnt even clean it off.....

SunnyK8
08/26/2010, 03:43 PM
You guys are right that this is just a fish. But think about it, would you catch your dog or cat and eat it? This was someones pet. I love eating fish, but I never looked at any of my tanks and said, now that looks good! Now that Ive seen the video and saw that they fish was dead I was even more discusted. This retard ate a fish that died from who knows what and didnt even clean it off.....

This is exactly how I felt about it..

Tajjo
08/26/2010, 04:09 PM
Don't people kill fish all the time? What's the difference besides how beautiful they are?

LaOtIn
08/26/2010, 04:34 PM
Don't people kill fish all the time? What's the difference besides how beautiful they are?

there is no difference.

its all cool until the animal is "cute" then it becomes an issue. seriously, think about it....

whales = save them!
pandas = save them!
cows = kill them by the thousands per hour
dolphins = save them!
cats = save them!
chickens = kill them by the thousands per hour

see a trend here? if the animal is cute or can be taught to do a trick we should save and protect it, however if i cant...its food! and since someone brought up the dog and cat angle, dog and cat in some parts of the world are considered food like our cow and chicken are here.

point? Tangs are cute! adorable! and they are our pets (well, that is if you have a 200+ gallon tank so the tang police wont lock you up) so it stands to reason that if someone kills one, or cooks a dead one that a good portion of people are going to be offended! Call PETA! really? call PETA? Sure lets call People Eating Tasty Animals! lol :thumbsup:

I wonder what the disscusion would be like if it were an ugly fish that noone likes or hardly ever keeps like.......a Black Sea Bass!

grizwalt333
08/26/2010, 06:59 PM
Yah I will say I saw this and was a bit ticked off, that guy is just such a tool and then he catches a Tang with a pair of TONGS I mean ???? that's hard to do. I don't think it's right but.... Until I see that dude what can I do...

ocellaris123
08/26/2010, 07:28 PM
I don't see what the big deal is, I saw the clip and the tang (powder brown) was already dead, when he took out the body and cooked it up.

Zire
08/26/2010, 07:38 PM
I have no problem with eating any animal (granted it isn't endangered or anything), that being said what a waste to eat a tang when there's better tasting not to mention much cheaper fish to eat. Also, from an aquarium? That's a cesspool, hopefully the guy gets sick from eating the tang, not because he ate it in the first place but because the morons on these shows deserve it.

Blown76mav
08/26/2010, 08:45 PM
So the Pandas being an endangered species due to low numbers in population has nothing to do with them being saved?

Never seen a cute whale, again endangered species due to low numbers due to over hunting.....

Your logic makes no sense.

there is no difference.

its all cool until the animal is "cute" then it becomes an issue. seriously, think about it....

whales = save them!
pandas = save them!
cows = kill them by the thousands per hour
dolphins = save them!
cats = save them!
chickens = kill them by the thousands per hour

see a trend here? if the animal is cute or can be taught to do a trick we should save and protect it, however if i cant...its food! and since someone brought up the dog and cat angle, dog and cat in some parts of the world are considered food like our cow and chicken are here.

point? Tangs are cute! adorable! and they are our pets (well, that is if you have a 200+ gallon tank so the tang police wont lock you up) so it stands to reason that if someone kills one, or cooks a dead one that a good portion of people are going to be offended! Call PETA! really? call PETA? Sure lets call People Eating Tasty Animals! lol :thumbsup:

I wonder what the disscusion would be like if it were an ugly fish that noone likes or hardly ever keeps like.......a Black Sea Bass!

Specialtang
08/26/2010, 08:52 PM
You need to call the PETA folks. They'll get all over MTV about it.

For catching, cooking and eating a fish?

tang named junkyard
08/26/2010, 09:23 PM
http://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2010/08/25/video-ryan-makes-dinner-straight-from-the-fish-tank/

thebanker
08/26/2010, 10:53 PM
I object more to "The Situation" making millions off being a moronic meat bag.

saleen2881
08/26/2010, 11:55 PM
this is the video

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/553446/sleeping-with-the-fish.jhtml

BFG
08/27/2010, 03:43 AM
Just a fish?!? Try a dog and see where this topic leads to.....

kingfisher62
08/27/2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the video linksaleen2881. I was curious about it.
Looks like a pretty laim show. What ever happened to creativity?

uhuru
08/27/2010, 06:39 AM
Horses are pets, and that is a contentious issue right now because the best thing to do with unwanted ones is humanely slaughter and use for meat. Of course, so many people in this country are opposed to that. I believe it is no longer possible to slaughter horses in the US, and a law is in the works to make it illegal on a national level. Yet, people in other countries eat horse meat all the time. It's all cultural.

I have seen trigger fish being sold as meat at the local Japanese market. They also have live ones in their display tank sometimes. Most of the fish in their display die after a few months, I sometimes wonder if they go straight to the frozen meat section. Again, it's a cultural thing.

Chris27
08/27/2010, 07:12 AM
The only thing I find appalling is that our culture allows a "no talent a$$ clown" on TV and we gobble it right up week after week.

sanababit
08/27/2010, 08:32 AM
its all your faults for watching that chit, lol

Sana

Chris27
08/27/2010, 10:55 AM
its all your faults for watching that chit, lol

Sana

You got that strait, I thought I was the only one :lol:

sslak
08/27/2010, 11:17 AM
Wonder how it tastes...I love a good fish fry. Doesn't seem like there would be much meat on a tang.

A big angel on the other hand would make some amazing fillets, kinda expensive dinner tho and who knows if it even tastes good.

It's no different than raising chickens in your back yard and eating them...fish are food AND friends!

LifeAquatic
08/27/2010, 01:20 PM
I have an angel that cant be caught.... Where can I find the tang hunter?

Cantonesefish
08/27/2010, 01:49 PM
I have an angel that cant be caught.... Where can I find the tang hunter?

The tang was already dead...

D-Nak
08/27/2010, 02:26 PM
A few topics to discuss:

1. Eating tangs -- we can all agree that people do it all the time. Walk down the seafood isle at any grocery store in Hawaii, and you'll most likely find Kole tangs shrink-wrapped alongside the shrimp and sushi grade tuna.

2.Cute versus not cute -- not the issue. Cows and chickens are raised for food consumption. As are rabbits, and many people find them cute.

3. Eating a dead pet -- this is where controversy comes into play. In this case, it's a dead fish out of a display tank that these people don't care about, so technically, it's not their pet. They had no emotional connection to it, it's simply something that's dead and can be eaten.

Long story short, after watching the clip, the guys are doing it to be funny and experimental, and well, in my opinion, look like idiots for doing it. I don't see them being cruel and they seem to care about the other fish in the tank (they're not hunting the other fish) they're just young and stupid.

bobbychullo
08/27/2010, 02:37 PM
if he killed/ate the animal in a cruel manner on television it could be a case to call the American Humane Association as they over-see the film industry and it's use of animals.

Film and Television office: (818) 501-0123

IAReefer
08/27/2010, 03:17 PM

There is a difference in this case. This fish is a pet that came directly out of an aquarium. I love eating fish, and beef, chicken, deer and anything else I hunt. I will not eat something that ive ever considered a pet unless its needed for survival.

Some cultures eat these fish and there is nothing wrong with that, but this is not the case, not by a long shot.

Hopefully you see the difference now. What would you do if some reached into your tank and pulled out a fish and went to cook it?

[17]shawn[17]
08/27/2010, 04:38 PM
i saw this also! i was shocked to say the least this guy is a ****ing idiot it was a naso i believe
i doube they ate it...just killed it, they showed it steaming in a frying pan

bobbychullo
08/27/2010, 06:22 PM
i just watched that video

the one guy who instigates the whole thing is a complete moron

i'd like to meet the parents who raised him

how about we use some tongs the size of a truck to drop him in a giant pan of heated cooking oil

dead or not, that was just offensive...

Saltyfin
08/28/2010, 12:07 AM
You didn't know that's what ballers do.

People like that don't need to own an aquarium. He probably doesn't even know what kind of fish it was.

People I understand eat fish all the time but why even raise the fish just to treat it like trash.

bleedfire
08/28/2010, 01:52 AM
I hate that show, but then again living in Canada your always 3 episodes behind, and plus you cant even watch it online lol.

for the guy who was referring to the "Situation", That is like he sed "The Situation." lol

mhltcob
08/28/2010, 09:30 AM
The idiot ate a fish that has been dead/decaying and has been exposed to unknown number of medications. I doubt eating the tiny bit that he did will cause any problems but I personally wouldn't do it.

I think some of the animal shows are far worse. One of them on Animal Planet showed "an expert" trying to catch sea snakes and he is running on live table acroporas in about 1-2 feet of water on a reef flat in Australia...

1sirjustis
08/28/2010, 09:34 AM
brainless idiot! what a waste of space!

LeBeers
08/28/2010, 03:46 PM
I regrettably caught a few episodes of this in bed with the flu. :sleep:
I'm a fish lover in both senses, but being in what is essentially someone else's house and eating their dead fish is just a matter of disrespect. It's not an issue of eating Tangs for cultural reasons or survival. I wouldn't argue isn't a PETA issue either (he didn't kill the fish anyway) but if you were loaning your house to someone and your pet died on their watch, wouldn't you be a little perturbed if they ate it for an outrageous televised laugh?
Not to mention that "serving" the fish and shoving pieces of its corpse in roommate's faces was obviously disrespectful to the people they live with. Another fish died in this episode and a fellow roommate buried the fish, marked its grave, and held a "service" for it on the other extreme. She also found another fish lying on the bottom of the tank and tried to revive it by poking it with a saucer, and then triumphantly announced that she saved its life when it desperately swum away. At least her heart was in the right place.
Keep in mind the kid that seasoned and fried the Tang also stole his housemate's pain killers, wiped the "token gay guy's" cigarettes in his crack, and admitted to mental illness and "losing his mind". This kid is the kind of idiot that networks love recruiting for reality shows who is behaving this way because he's probably a little insane, but more importantly because he's got cameras on him at all times. This has always been known to make people do stupid things (especially on MTV). :crazy1:
On a side note, you would think that someone would be taking care of these tanks a little better. Where is the maintenance guy when all these fish are dying? Not that I expect to see footage of an aquarist testing for ammonia in the Real World tanks, though that would have probably been more entertaining for me personally. Half these kids are probably using the tanks as an ashtray or a garbage disposal so it may be a lost cause... :beer:
And as for those wondering how the Tang tasted, probably not very good at all considering it had been dead and lying in the substrate for what was probably several hours...gross.

jenreef
08/28/2010, 11:10 PM
i seen the footage today for the first time and it was very disturbing. that was really wrong what he did. who cares if the fish was already dead. you don't eat a pet, plain and simple. i wish he would have gotten poisoned when he ate the fish

shifty51008
08/28/2010, 11:18 PM
sad video, but in the video she says the owner stops by once a week to check on the tank. but like you said they arn't gonna show that on MTV