PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp... bad idea?

NewJerseyreef
08/07/2010, 03:07 PM
so yesterday i went to the fish store and bought some more snails, and 2 emerald crabs and decided to get a coral banded shrimp. i acclimated for about an hour and half and placed into the tank. The CBS seemed shy and hid at first and came to reef central to check out some threads about them. i remember on live aquaria they said peaceful and will be great... so i thought. one of the first things i read was that it got some peoples firefish. and i turned around and within 5 minutes of him being in the tank. had my firefish and killed it! :furious::furious: Now i have some turbo snails a few hermits and 2 clowns and 1 bangii cardinal left. do i have anything to worry about? and how should i go about feeding him specificly if i need to to stop him from eating more fish. and one other thing... can i not keep gobies and such now at rish of them being eatin?

Tuscaquatics
08/07/2010, 03:16 PM
It's over; take him back. Once they get a taste of flesh that's all they want. Mine went through a couple fish and a couple inverts. There's nothing you can do to stop them.

Next time do your research before you buy and you can avoid needless deaths.

cloak
08/07/2010, 03:18 PM
I've never had any problems with a CBS. It's a scavenger though, it's going to do what it was meant to do. As long as your feeding it, just like everything else, it should play well with others.

GL.

Tuscaquatics
08/07/2010, 03:22 PM
I've never had any problems with a CBS. It's a scavenger though, it's going to do what it was meant to do. As long as your feeding it, just like everything else, it should play well with others.

GL.

Oh yeah? Have you had one kill and consume a live fish then miraculously not bother anything else? It's pretty common knowledge that there's no turning them back once they go down that road.

Guitarmasta37
08/07/2010, 03:24 PM
It's kinda hit and miss with these guys. I've heard a bunch of success stories with them, as well as a bunch of not so successful stories. My advise would be to add the smallest one you can find very last in your tank. That's what I'm planning on doing in a few months or so. Be sure to keep him well fed so he won't resort to killing your other fish

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

NewJerseyreef
08/07/2010, 03:25 PM
should i spot feed him and if so how should i?

Sk8r
08/07/2010, 03:26 PM
It's like whether peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia: some will, some won't, and if you've got a coral banded that's eaten a fish, you've got a serial killer. He could have a nice career in your fuge. Or you could return him to the LFS: most will take a purchase back if in good health.

Any fish he can catch, including your clowns, etc, are in trouble. You will either have a fish tank or a shrimp tank, I fear.

Tuscaquatics
08/07/2010, 03:27 PM
It honestly has nothing to do with how well-fed they are. They are always hungry and on the lookout for food. If the opportunity arises to get a meal, and they know what fish tastes like, they're getting your fish.

And as for the fuge, I relinquished mine down there for a while and the bastard ate through all kinds of pods, feather dusters and any other critter he could get his claws on. Once he came out of there, my pods re-exploded.

bnumair
08/07/2010, 03:37 PM
tuscaquatics is right CBS are opportunistic especially if they had ur fish already. now he knows if he can catch a fish its meal time.

cloak
08/07/2010, 03:43 PM
It's sounds as if you might have had a bad apple. Have you ever let them adjust the vice on your finger? I've caught too many by hand working at the LFS. A healthy fish should have no problem getting away from those claws. None whatsoever.

Tuscaquatics
08/07/2010, 03:45 PM
It's sounds as if you might have had a bad apple. Have you ever let them adjust the vice on your finger? I've caught too many by hand working at the LFS. A healthy fish should have no problem getting away from those claws. None whatsoever.

Didn't I say that they were a scavenger? Check it!

So you're saying they can't catch and kill a healthy fish? Let's get this straight.

cloak
08/07/2010, 03:49 PM
They can, don't get me wrong, but if you want to play those odds, you will loose...51/49

Have a nice day.

:)

ritter6788
08/07/2010, 03:50 PM
I have a big one and it can't, (or doesn't want to), catch anything. It just hangs out in the back of the rocks and only comes out at night or to feed. I have a mandarin in there too, it's swims right by the shrimp and the shrimp just looks irritated and raises his claws up and the fish slowly swims away. I had a yellow tang that must have thought he was a cleaner shrimp and would always go up to him and turn sideways. The CBS would get mad and try to pinch the tang.

PDAlber
08/07/2010, 04:23 PM
I have a large mated pair of CBS that have been in my tank since they were small (caught them myself). The only problem I have with them is when I feed my LPS. If I don't feed the CBS first, they will try to steal the food from the corals. I have the same problem with my cleaner shrimp, though.

Johntjr
08/07/2010, 06:30 PM
My coral banded trys to catch something moving in the column (Fish). But he has yet to yield a reward for all his effort. I think my fish tease anyways.

rayn
08/07/2010, 06:30 PM
Mine has never bothers my fish either. Got him with my cleaner shrimp and never had any problems yet.

Johntjr
08/07/2010, 06:35 PM
Myne did happen to catch a peppermint shrimp that was not seen again. And just 2 days ago i caught him eating a smaller blue leg hermit.

NewJerseyreef
08/07/2010, 08:37 PM
yea it seems like he goes right past the clowns and the bangii he touches them and kinda shys away and i wouldnt say they are much bigger than him. i guess im going to keep an eye on the tank. they really went too expensive and he seems to be fine so far though i put 2 emerald crabs in yesterday and so far can only acount for one:twitch: