PDA

View Full Version : Need Pendant Selection Help for 280G 36" Wide

cshutchinson
08/07/2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry to ask what has been discussed so many times, but search results are a little confusing and not exactly applicable to my tank size. Would you guys mind helping me out?

The display tank is 72" x 36" x 25" (supposed to be delivered this week)

The ceilings in my reef room are only 7 feet, so I have exactly 21" to the top of the tank or maybe 22" to 23" to the water line.

I wasn't planning on using a canopy, so I would prefer pendants.

My options appear to be the following:

1. Lumen Bright Large Pendant (afraid that i don't have adequate ceiling space)
2. Lumen Bright Wide Pendant
3. Lumen Bright Mini Pendant

I would like to run 400W ballasts on this tank as it is intended to be SPS only. I guess 3 of the chosen pendants will be fine with 14k or 20k bulbs? Are SE bulbs ok? Not sure about the color or brand of bulbs, could use some help there as well. I have used Radiums in the past on a smaller tank but there seems to be many more options now. I tend to gravitate toward liking the blue tint to the light, but want the brightness of a lower K as well.

I don't have the tank yet as it has not been delivered. Everything else is in place and the stand is built behind the wall it will face.

I have already purchased the wrong lighting once (my fault that I changed tank sizes) and need to get it right this time. Thank in advance for the help.

Here is a live shot of the reef room and the view from the desk in my office:

Hutch's Reef (http://www.spsreef.com/img/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm)

Kshack
08/08/2010, 09:55 AM
I have the same tank dimensions. I have three large Lumenbright pendants. Top of the lights are 21" from the top of the tank. If you can not mount right up tight to the celling you will have to go with the wide and mount lower.
I use a 250-400-250 arrangement with Radium bulbs and no other supplement.
My last ballasts are the selectable, so you could change if you like without problem, just turn the dial and put in a different bulb. Galaxy ballast.
I have no canopy, but was thinking of some kind of curtain because the tank is next to the home theater. I like the access and heat dissipation and really like looking down on the tank when the pumps are off (feeding time).