PDA

View Full Version : BJReef's 125g Project

BJReef
08/07/2010, 06:04 PM
For several years, I (Brian) ran a successful 30g cube aquarium. In the last few months, sadly in crashed. Upon the disassemble, I noticed that I had successfully shattered the tempered glass bottom (don't ask how, I'm not sure). While it was cracked into hundreds of little "safe" pieces, they never shifted apart so the water slowly leaked out of the tank, and ruined everything in it. When I went to replace the tank, I learned that Oceanic had discontinued the line of tanks. Perfect. :rolleye1:

After some moping, I talked to my girlfriend (Jackie, hence BJ) and we decided to do a larger reef together, a 75g. As we planned it out, we quickly learned that a 75g would simply be "too small" and changed our plans to a 125g. We are now the proud owners of a 125g tank and we're slowly putting it together.

As a side project, we've decided to carefully photograph every step of the process for the enjoyment of anyone who want to see. Instead of posting lots of pictures in many different places, we started a blog for the tank. We'll be posting updates to it as things change. I plan to keep you updated here and get your opinions on various parts of the system. Feel free to post any questions/comments/thoughts/suggestions here.

We're experimenting with new LED lights, and trying to keep the tank as low impact as possible, "green-reefing" is you will. The LR came from a person who was taking apart their 300 gallon reef, the tank/stand/canopy was purchased from someone no longer wanting it (no meds were ever used and it was filled when we went to look at it), about 1/3 of the sand came from my previous tank (rinsed of course). Additionally, we are going to use aquacultured/captivebred/tank raised items as much as possible.

Stats:
125g tank
~150lbs LR - fiji, marshal island and other mixed types
~125 lbs sand - 80lbs Fiji pink sugar size, ~40 crushed aragonite, 5lbs caribsea LS
Hydor 1200gph PH
2X Ecoxotic 36W LED lighting - will eventually be 4X
Spec Grav. 1.025
Temp 79-81F

Planning on an overflow (CRP) with a sump (custom) and protein skimmer (Reef Octopus). Just waiting on quote for acrylic sump (~30g). Sump will have refugium section.

www.luckyreef.com