PDA

View Full Version : Problems with shrimp

Flsurfergrl
08/07/2010, 07:07 PM
I have an almost 2 year old 30 gallon biocube and I've had a terrible time with shrimp.

I've currently got a pair of clowns, a ywg, serpant start, pom pom crab, a couple of turbos, etc and coral.

I've had a cleaner shrimp and a pistol both only last 2-3 days in my tank. I take great care in acclimation-drip, etc.

My parameters are pretty stable:

Nitrates <10
Calcium 400
Alk 9
SG 1.025
Ph-can vary

Could ph swings be the most surefire way to kill a shrimp? I've noticed my ph in the am be 7.8-rising to 8.4 once my lights come on. I think i have excessive CO2 in my home due to the summer in Florida, and we've been pretty air tight since April.

Would anything else be affected by ph like a shrimp would be? I have never lost a fish, and rarely inverts except an occasional hermit.

I AM DYING to keep a shrimp. The loss of my pistol was devastating for both me and my YWG who thought he died and went to heaven when he saw him.

Please help me!

Packersfan21
08/08/2010, 12:02 PM
Yea ph could definetly be the problem. Are you drip-acclimating the shrimp?

Flsurfergrl
08/08/2010, 09:27 PM
Yes-i take great care in acclimating all of my inverts-drip, for about an hour.

What are my options with excess CO2? We have a very air tight new home built about 2 years ago.

I really, really, want shrimp but I can't in good conscience keep killing them. TIA!

Packersfan21
08/08/2010, 10:27 PM
I don't think excess Co2 would be a problem. Try acclimating them to the tank with the lights off if your're not already since it is less stressful on the shrimp. As far as the ph going up that high i'm really not sure why. I would maybe reduce the time that the lights are on during the day or something.

Flsurfergrl
08/09/2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think excess Co2 would be a problem. Try acclimating them to the tank with the lights off if your're not already since it is less stressful on the shrimp. As far as the ph going up that high i'm really not sure why. I would maybe reduce the time that the lights are on during the day or something.

You mean the 8.4 later in the day? Is that a problem?

Maybe I should bring this over to the chemistry forum.

Thanks!

GhostCon1
08/09/2010, 02:46 PM
Very radical pH fluctuations can be lethal for invertebrates.

But, I applaud you for not buying more for feal of killing them, nice to see that :)

I hope you can figure out your problem, but I would look into the pH issue.

Flsurfergrl
08/09/2010, 02:50 PM
Very radical pH fluctuations can be lethal for invertebrates.

But, I applaud you for not buying more for feal of killing them, nice to see that :)

I hope you can figure out your problem, but I would look into the pH issue.

Thanks;)

I think I'm making some progress over in chemistry-at least I hope.

Koshmar
08/09/2010, 06:03 PM
You can keep stable pH levels by alternating your light cycles if you have a fuge. 12hr display 12hr refuge. No copper? Volatile cleaning solutions used near the tank? Where is the tank located?

Flsurfergrl
08/11/2010, 11:57 AM
You can keep stable pH levels by alternating your light cycles if you have a fuge. 12hr display 12hr refuge. No copper? Volatile cleaning solutions used near the tank? Where is the tank located?

I don't have a fuge.

No copper-I bought the tank new. No cleaning soulutions used near or on glass, etc. The tank is located in my family room, next to a plasma tv (not sure if that could do anything?) away from windows but across the room is 2 sets of french doors.

No one in the reef chemistry forum really believes it's a ph problem, but possibly more of a SG problem since I'm using a hydrometer-maybe my sg isn't staying high enough at 1.024-25 on the hydrometer?

The mystery continues. I've never lost a fish (had them almost the entire 2 years, or have any other problems with different types of inverts besides shrimp.)

Thanks!