PDA

View Full Version : Getting 1st corals. Okay to get zoo's as a beginner?

AJimmy419
08/07/2010, 10:59 PM
Hello everyone. I am ready to add my first corals to my 34 gallon Red Sea Max, w/ stock lights: 2x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps. I am getting a package from a guy who is gonna give me Candy Cane coral, little Kenya Tree, Green Mushrooms. He has some Red zoo frags of about 10 polyps that I like. I plan on only doing LPS and soft coral. Are zoo's a good idea w/ what I plan on having? Are they a good coral for a beginner? What do I need to know about zoo's? Let me know what everyone thinks? Thanks.

Scuba_Steve
08/07/2010, 11:06 PM
IMO zoos are the best first coral, along with mushrooms. They multiply fast, and can take just about anything. The better the coloration, the slower the growth though. Which can be a good thing, especially with mushrooms, which will multiply and take a large amount of space if not weeded back.

AJimmy419
08/07/2010, 11:19 PM
I'll probably stay away from the mushroom. I'm kinda getting scared off by some of the LPS and soft corals, cause everyone keeps saying that they multiply and grow quickly, and take over your tank. What are your thoughts? What do you think about Kenya trees? I read that they multiply and grow quick as well. Thanks for the help.

CRASHJT
08/07/2010, 11:23 PM
Make sure you read up on the zoo's on how to properly handle them not a bad first coral but poisonous as all hell

Scuba_Steve
08/07/2010, 11:25 PM
Get exotic mushrooms and you will be fine. Ricordias are great and still in the mushroom family. They grow nice and slow. As I said, the more colorful and elaborate, the slower they will grow...

AJimmy419
08/08/2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks. I plan on going slow. I don't want to rush getting pieces unless their worth the price and are real colorful. I don't have a big tank, so imma try and be patient as possible and only get real nice and colorful pieces. Thanks.