PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my tank overhaul

rob020880
08/08/2010, 10:15 AM
Hello Reefers,

I have a 130 gal corner bowfront tank with a 30 gal sump. I love the tank and loved my aquasacape but now all the corals have overgrown the tank and it looks really crowded. My plan is to redo the entire aquascape creating a more open Bonsai style look using my existing rock. I also plan to switch to all t5's from 250MH's, change the skimmer, and buff out all the scratches in this acrylic tank once the rock is removed.

I have a spare tank that I will setup where I will keep all the corals and fish during this overhaul but it wont fit the live rock. Here's my main concern.

I want pull out all the rock, remove all the coral and rescape it. But I won't be able to redo the aquascape quickly because I want to get it perfect this time, and need to repolish all the acrylic.

So I was thinking of just pulling all the rock, setting it outside and letting it fry in the sun essentially killing the LR. I have a couple of reasons for doing this, first off it will allow me the time to properly figure out the aquascape, I plan to use rods and reef cement to get the rocks to stay together in the proper form. Secondly it will kill of the aptasia that I have been having trouble with, and thirdly it will kill any coral thats left encrusted on the rock making sure that the corals grow only where I plant them on the new aquascape.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done such a thing, and what words of wisdom might you have for me? Would I be better off keeping some or all of the rock alive during this process somehow? One of my main concerns is killing all the aptasia, is there a way to kill them without killing the live rock, for example would keeping the LR in RODI instead of saltwater kill the aptasia yet keep everything else alive.

I am postive that I won't be able to keep all the rock alive but I may be able to keep some alive during this process. I plan to build an intricate tower which needs to be cemented together and figured out so I anticipate this will take me a while. Will I need to do anything with the rock after I "kill" it? I was thinking of just hosing it down daily and then soaking it in rodi for a couple of days and replacing the RODI before reintroducing into the tank. Also keep in mind that my tank will be empty so when I reintroduce the rock there I have no problems with recycling the tank. Below is a pic of the tank from a year ago, now the thing looks like a disaster so I need to redo it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=230&pictureid=1168

rob020880
08/08/2010, 10:24 AM
Sorry double post.

Sisterlimonpot
08/08/2010, 01:28 PM
I think that the only real way to keep aiptasia out is just like you described, however you need to be careful when reintroducing the corals as to not allow any aiptasia back in. inspect each coral carefully.

I did the same thing, for different reasons (moving cross country) But the rock was out of water for 4 months, completely dead. I didn't do anything special before I added it back to the tank. When I added the corals I was extra careful and sometimes had to frag above the base to keep the aiptasia out. But so far it has worked,.

One thing that I didn't like was that I had to reintroduce all the other stuff that came on the live rock like the pods, mini-stars etc. Which really isn't a bad thing. I dipped all the corals in revive to ensure no pests made their way into the tank.

So in other words because I had to do it, I did it right.

Do you have any pics of your tank right now? I'd like to see the grown out tank.