PDA

View Full Version : What causes a tank to crash

donyjoe
08/08/2010, 07:36 PM
I was just wounder how many of you had a crash with your experience and how old the tank was and the damage to the pocket.

Im just waiting for the inedible to happen

P.s. I'm new

chimmike
08/08/2010, 07:38 PM
inedible? Of course you can't eat it!

tank crashes aren't inevitable. They're avoidable with good husbandry!

reefermad619
08/08/2010, 07:47 PM
I had a slight crash when I added too much new livestock at one time.

Packersfan21
08/08/2010, 08:24 PM
I had a tank crash when I first started out. I had two hippo tangs and a purple tang in the same 90 gallon tank plus 8 other fish. I had no skimmer. I ended up losing 7 fish. The two hippos, I sold and the only remaining fish were the purple tang and a royal gramma. I've definetly learned a lot since then.

mockranouse
08/08/2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure how true it is, but I've read that disrupting an old DSB can sometimes cause a crash

donyjoe
08/08/2010, 09:07 PM
inedible? Of course you can't eat it!

tank crashes aren't inevitable. They're avoidable with good husbandry!

OOPS ! I'm so excited and tired at the same time I mean inevitable

do you think a 10 gallon would need a skimmer and a sump or just a lot of water changes ?

I picked this up at LFS and got it 50% off!! for no air pump
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/dony2020/100_1456.jpg?t=1281323171

mockranouse
08/08/2010, 09:11 PM
you probably wouldn't need a skimmer in a 10 gallon, just a small weekly water change

dc
08/15/2010, 05:49 AM
How long has your tank been set up? IMO you have picked the worst choice of inhabitants you could possibly find. The first thing I'd do is take them all back and make sure your tank is cycled. Then you need to have more realistic goals in what a 10 gallon tank will hold.

Read in the nano forum for awhile.
Nano (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)

jprince
08/15/2010, 07:01 AM
How long has your tank been set up? IMO you have picked the worst choice of inhabitants you could possibly find. The first thing I'd do is take them all back and make sure your tank is cycled. Then you need to have more realistic goals in what a 10 gallon tank will hold.

Read in the nano forum for awhile.
Nano (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)

I think I'm missing something.....I don't see a post that says anything about livestock??? Tank crashes are most often caused by neglect, lack of knowledge or maybe even a piece of malfunctioning equipment. They certainly can be inevitable if you don't know what you are doing. I would honestly get a bigger tank. A 10 gallon is going to a PITA for you to keep up with. A larger volume of water will be much more stable.

dc
08/15/2010, 01:42 PM
I searched his posts. Just trying to give some good advice.

Mounda
08/15/2010, 02:07 PM
Lack of knowledge

reefworm
08/15/2010, 02:15 PM
my first system crash was due to - I believe - crushed coral as a substrate. Size, shape and sharpness of the CC discouraged benthic populations [worms, etc.] resulting in increasing amounts of detritus in the cup-shaped shards. after a time the ability of the natural filtration, skimming, etc. couldn't cope. there are those that use CC and have found effective ways to clean it, I've since learned, but I went the way of fine sand and healthy CUC since.

jprince
08/15/2010, 06:02 PM
I searched his posts. Just trying to give some good advice.

Alright..... relax. You come on and rip the guy about his livestock from seemingly nowhere. I just asked a simple question if I missed something. I think were all trying to give good advice, but re read your post to him.... a little abrasive no???

Agu
08/15/2010, 07:01 PM
Alright..... relax. You come on and rip the guy about his livestock from seemingly nowhere. I just asked a simple question if I missed something. I think were all trying to give good advice, but re read your post to him.... a little abrasive no???

Sailfin tang, maroon clown and an anemone in a month old ten gallon tank ? And he's asking about inevitable tank crashes ? Odds are that a tank crash is inevitable .

donyjoe, you need to slow down and do more research before stocking your tank. So far you have a recipe for disaster.

jprince
08/15/2010, 07:34 PM
Sailfin tang, maroon clown and an anemone in a month old ten gallon tank ? And he's asking about inevitable tank crashes ? Odds are that a tank crash is inevitable .

donyjoe, you need to slow down and do more research before stocking your tank. So far you have a recipe for disaster.

Understood now that I have seen his stock list, but does that justify a harsh response because the guy didn't research anything prior to getting involved, or should he be enlightened as to the error of his ways as stated in Reef Centrals mission statement? Our Mission
Reef Central is an online community where quality information about the marine and reef aquarium hobby can be exchanged among all levels of hobbyist from beginner to advanced. Our goal is to help
I'll bet a pretty good percentage of the folks here have made an "oops" or several similar to his when they first started. How would they feel if they had that kind of response. I just read this...I don't have any experience with tangs but when more people see this thread I think you're going to be maliciously attacked about putting that in there lol.

Maliciously attacked??? Don't recall that in the mission statement.... A wise man once said...."Lighten up people, it's just a freakin fish club!!" Words to live by.;)

dc
08/15/2010, 08:12 PM

Not at all, just straight forward.