PDA

View Full Version : fan for cooling the tank

jeremy K
08/09/2010, 11:27 AM
Until recently I have used an 8" diameter fan connected to my Reefkeeper Lite controller to cool my tank. However, space at the top of my tank is limited due to my lighting and the large fan barely fits propped over the tank. Does anyone here know of a small, plug-in fan that would fit between my Tek light fixture and my tank, and would be usable to both cool the tank and my T5 bulbs? I have seen the Tunze aquawind, but don't like the idea of spending $80 on a fan...any ideas? (PS. I'm not such a DIY guy, so I would have no idea about hooking up computer fans to power sources, etc. - looking for something ready made).

Nerd1717
08/09/2010, 11:34 AM
See if you can't find something at the local walmart to put on there? Might be worth a shot.

bayoupr
08/09/2010, 11:56 AM
If you have a sump, a clip on king air works great from MD. I use one in my sump and maintains my temp well. I have it programed on my AC jr to come on at a certain temp and go off at a certain temp

jeremy K
08/09/2010, 12:57 PM
I never wanted to put the fan over my sump because there isn't great ventilation under there and I don't want excessive evaporation in that area (where all my wires are). I don't want to drill vent holes down there either, since I just finished soundproofing the sump with foam to lower the noise from the skimmer/return pump.

moondoggy4
08/09/2010, 02:14 PM
Air King makes a 12'' or 16'' wall mounted fan that can oscillate looks OK, nice it depends, but like you said you do not want to spend 80 on a fan.