PDA

View Full Version : store bought shrimp

marlinmero
08/09/2010, 11:50 AM
i bought sum of the little cooked shrimp from qfc today. the little ones you use for shrimp salad. i was going to use em to feed my anenomes and what not. but wanted to check and make sure it was ok first

robow
08/09/2010, 11:55 AM
I would not if they have been cooked, they could have been seasoned with something that is not listed in the ingredients. Also if they are cooked they may have lost some nutrional value.

marlinmero
08/09/2010, 12:00 PM
thats kinda what i was thinking is who knows what they put in the water when they boil em. thanks for the input

Sugar Magnolia
08/09/2010, 12:04 PM
You'll want to use uncooked shrimp, but into very small chunks. The same with silversides. Just thaw one and cut it into small chunks.

What kind of anemones do you have?

marlinmero
08/09/2010, 12:10 PM
alrighty guess ill toss this stuff out to coons and birds.i only got like.20 worth. I have 3 large open brains "or i think thats what they are" a rbta candy cane and acans a serpant star and a brittle star i kinda wanted to start spot feedin. oh and 2 rock anemones now

Agu
08/09/2010, 12:12 PM
You want to use raw frozen seafood unless you have access to live. Fresh unfrozen seafood is often preserved with orthophosphate to keep it from spoiling. . It's sold as "wet" as opposed to "dry" seafood the hasn't been treated with preservatives. Treated seafood is called "wet" because it also absorbs water (which means you get less seafood and the vendor has higher profit margins).

I've been making my own fish food for years with frozen and have never had a problem.

marlinmero
08/09/2010, 01:47 PM
great thanks for the info. guess ill check the frozen section this evening then.