PDA

View Full Version : Aquamaxx HOB skimmer??

scottwhitson
08/09/2010, 09:29 PM
I have an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer that I just purchased and am trying to use it on a hospital tank that I have setup. The problem is it won't stop overflowing into the collection cup as soon as the air line is opened up. This tank is at 1.009 for and ICH treatment at the moment and I know that will make a skimmer not function properly but I would also think it would make the skimmer bubble less not more. Anyone have any suggestions on this skimmer? We have been messing with it for a while now and have washed it a couple of times in HOT water to try to get it to stop doing this but no luck.

scottwhitson
08/11/2010, 01:20 AM
Anyone??

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 10:20 AM
Make sure that the output line is not under water first and foremost. How high is the water line in the tank?

scottwhitson
08/11/2010, 01:26 PM
Outlet is not under the water. The water line in the tank is almost to the top.

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 01:31 PM
How high is the water in the skimmer on both sides? In relation to the top of the skimmer body on the left side and the outlet tube on the right? Is it possible to drain an inch or two of the water from the tank and see if that makes a difference in the skimmer overflowing?

scottwhitson
08/11/2010, 01:37 PM
If I keep the airline closed off the water line runs very high even up over the outlet pipe. As soon as I let go of the airline it will instantly fill the cup with bubbles and start pushing the cups lid off. I turned it on the last night when I had pulled 10 gallons out of the tank for a water change and the same thing happened.

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 01:41 PM
And no additives to the tank, correct- just hypo?

scottwhitson
08/11/2010, 01:50 PM
Actually I forgot some Amquel was added a while ago. But would that effectvthe water level in the skimmer with no air input? It seems as if the water level is to high even without air.

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 01:50 PM
One suggestion- if all else fails, see if you can get your hands on a silencer from a maxi-jet that you can adjust and use that to slowly ramp up the air intake until you find a happy medium. You may have to get a regular piece of airline tubing to attach to the nub of the MJ silencer to make it fit snugly in the Aquamaxx air tube.

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 01:57 PM
When you crimp the air tube, the water level will rise in the skimmer because the pump is not pulling in air and can pull in more water. The level should drop when you let go and air gets pulled into the skimmer. I've not used Amquel, but it's possible that it may change the surface tension of the water and result in a very wet foam and/or issue with the skimmer overflowing. Like I said, if you can get your hands on an MJ silencer, give that a shot instead of plugging the Aquamaxx tube into the skimmer silencer.

Nanz
08/11/2010, 02:01 PM
I have an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer that I just purchased and am trying to use it on a hospital tank that I have setup. The problem is it won't stop overflowing into the collection cup as soon as the air line is opened up. This tank is at 1.009 for and ICH treatment at the moment and I know that will make a skimmer not function properly but I would also think it would make the skimmer bubble less not more. Anyone have any suggestions on this skimmer? We have been messing with it for a while now and have washed it a couple of times in HOT water to try to get it to stop doing this but no luck.

Don't use a skimmer with hypo. It wont work as well since your salinity is low. Rely on daily water changes to keep the water clean.

scottwhitson
08/11/2010, 02:04 PM
Well the problem is it is working TOO well. I can't keep it from overflowing. I want it up and running so when I do raise the salinity it is already on there. Also it will add aeration to the water which is a good thing.

jpluttme
08/11/2010, 02:40 PM
IMO the skimmer won't hurt with hypo. Won't be as effective at removing nutrients, but won't hurt unless there's meds in the water. Also won't break in as fast which could be why the bubbles keep overflowing. My water level is even with the ring around the outlet on the outside of the skimmer body and about 1/4" or less above that on the reaction chamber side (water level, not foam level).