PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Ph drop 8.2 to 6.2 in established tank

stgla
08/10/2010, 12:06 AM
Is this old tank syndrome? Bad pH probe?

My 75g tank, which is currently running as FOWLR, has been up for five years and has been incredibly stable with respect to pH. I have a reverse photoperiod in the sumpfugium and an AC III monitoring pH and temp. pH has always been between 8.2 and 8.4. About a month ago it dropped to 6.4 and has been declining slowly to about 6.1 over a couple of weeks.

I can't figure out what it is. I tried using a pH test kit (Salifert) in case my probe is bad, but the test was inconclusive. I can't read the damn colors.

The fish (two clownfish, a royal gramma, and a mandarin goby) appear unaffected. Not many inverts in the tank to begin with.

I've been doing water changes, but want to know my next move: do I get yet another test kit, a new probe, or start with daily water changes? Or something more drastic?

stanlalee
08/10/2010, 12:12 AM
your pH is not 6.2 or 6.1. saltwater fish and certaintly inverts cant survive pH that low (or more importantly anything that would cause that kind of drop).

mcoomer
08/10/2010, 01:00 AM
For a drop like that, I'd suspect bad monitoring hardware. If your pH test kit is inconclusive, take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it for you. Still, I don't believe you're at 6.2.

Mike

ocellaris123
08/10/2010, 01:10 AM
Try an API pH test kit

patsfan1130
08/10/2010, 06:30 AM
Try calibrating the probe. If that doesnt fix it, buy a new one. There is no way the reading is correct.

stgla
08/10/2010, 09:38 AM
OMG. Talk about inattentive reefer (me). This is where I am so embarrassed I need to change my username.

I just checked and the *probe has been unplugged* this whole time. Strangely, the AC III graph has been generating somewhat random readings without a probe attached. I attached the probe and my reading is now 8.42.

Not Old Tank Syndrome, more like Old Man Syndrome. Sorry to waste everyone's time.