PDA

View Full Version : Can fish Sleep with a L.E.D light strip on at night?

samdaman
08/10/2010, 01:33 AM
I have a white foot long led strip in my tank. I was just wondering if my fishes can sleep with that on or does it bother them?

dots
08/10/2010, 01:40 AM
Some fish may not feel safe or well hidden in too much light, it may stress them to the point of sickness, despite the presence of a predator or not.

I observed what this effected the most was the amount of activity from copepods and amphipods and shrimp with moon lights on. In order to maximize those populations and allow them to roam to collect detritus, I began to leave them off.

dublo8
08/10/2010, 02:18 AM
Some fish may not feel safe or well hidden in too much light, it may stress them to the point of sickness, despite the presence of a predator or not.

I observed what this effected the most was the amount of activity from copepods and amphipods and shrimp with moon lights on. In order to maximize those populations and allow them to roam to collect detritus, I began to leave them off.

+1 I have also noticed the same. my snails are definitely active but as I was feeding my sun coral, acans and trumpets as usual I noticed the fish still semi active. So I turn them off after evening coral feedings.

Lemeshianos
08/10/2010, 02:24 AM
I run my lights from 12:00 to 22:00 so I can watch the tank when I get home from work and feed the fish.
I haven't hooked up the LED plug yet but I might do it on a timer for an additional hour as well so that I can through a quick look before heading to bed. I guess you can do the same.
I have a peanut worm that retracts back to it's hole even when I shed some light on it(using LED behind red gelatin). So if we have the clear moonlights on, I think the nocturnal life of our tanks will be hesitated to come out!
IKEA has some good quality timers.
I had another brand that was 6x the price of the IKEA and it didn't last over 2 months.

samdaman
08/10/2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm this is interesting the reason I ask is because I have always wanted LED's in my tank because it looks nice, I have a little 9 LED flashlight. And I turn it on sometimes at night from the top where my lights are and it looks awesome. So I bought a White LED strip. But It has not arrived yet..

But what I noticed last night is that when I have my little desk lamp on (which is right next to my tank), my clowns seem to not go to sleep when its on. They will be up and about. They usually sleep in the back corner upside down (weird I know) so that's how I know they are still awake....

evsalty
08/10/2010, 10:24 AM
I have a 48" R2 strip on my 125 and due to how bright it is I put it on a timer to only be on for a couple hours after lights out and a couple hours before lights on. Now on my Biocube the 2 stock moons are barely visible so I leave those on all night long.

samdaman
08/10/2010, 10:26 AM
I run my lights from 12:00 to 22:00 so I can watch the tank when I get home from work and feed the fish.
I haven't hooked up the LED plug yet but I might do it on a timer for an additional hour as well so that I can through a quick look before heading to bed. I guess you can do the same.
I have a peanut worm that retracts back to it's hole even when I shed some light on it(using LED behind red gelatin). So if we have the clear moonlights on, I think the nocturnal life of our tanks will be hesitated to come out!
IKEA has some good quality timers.
I had another brand that was 6x the price of the IKEA and it didn't last over 2 months.

do you mean these timers?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80134449

samdaman
08/10/2010, 10:29 AM
I have a 48" R2 strip on my 125 and due to how bright it is I put it on a timer to only be on for a couple hours after lights out and a couple hours before lights on. Now on my Biocube the 2 stock moons are barely visible so I leave those on all night long.

The light strip I bought does not compare to yours. I bought a random cheap one. Maybe it wont be as bright as yours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180533151549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

evsalty
08/10/2010, 10:40 AM
Whites can be very bright. I think you are just going to have to instal it and see how bright it is.

samdaman
08/10/2010, 10:44 AM
Yeahh I know.

dots
08/10/2010, 09:13 PM
Moon lights are good to have for that midnight checkup so you don't stress out the tank doing so, with that said the blue ones I think would be more mellow.

Lemeshianos
08/11/2010, 01:23 AM
do you mean these timers?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80134449

Yeap! those are the ones I have! 5 euro for a http://weblogman.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tupac1.thumbnail.jpg

As I said I had a more expensive brand but the gears started to wear out in 2 months. I send one back, got a replacement but again after 2 months it started losing minutes. I opened it up and the gears were all messed up again.
So no more expensive junk for me! So far the IKEA ones are ok, but if they go bad at least they weren't so expensive.

samdaman
08/11/2010, 10:55 PM
Yeap! those are the ones I have! 5 euro for a http://weblogman.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tupac1.thumbnail.jpg

As I said I had a more expensive brand but the gears started to wear out in 2 months. I send one back, got a replacement but again after 2 months it started losing minutes. I opened it up and the gears were all messed up again.
So no more expensive junk for me! So far the IKEA ones are ok, but if they go bad at least they weren't so expensive.

lol, I got them yesterday, so far they work pretty good, The instructions i do not find very helpful! But i managed to get it working but the time is a little off it goes off at 11:45 instead of 12